The Shot

Keres untied me from the chair very hurriedly. I thought about making a run for it, but considering my injuries, that would be futile. Once I was free of the binding ropes, Keres grabbed me from the chair and put me into a headlock. She was stronger than she looked, holding me up entirely on her own. The chair toppled over as she grabbed the nearest knife and put it to my throat. "Say anything, I kill you. Understand?" she whispered. I nodded, unable to speak because of her firm headlock. I was becoming light headed.

Then, the door to the warehouse slid open. Natasha appeared. She was as beautiful as ever. Although, she was wearing a tube top and leggings, which I knew couldn't have been her doing. Her hand was on her hip and her other held a gun. She looked Keres straight in the eyes. Then her gaze fell to me. I tried to manage a smile, but I had a feeling it came off as more of a grimace. Natasha frowned at me before looking back at Keres.

"Hey, Keres. Mind putting down the knife."

"You shoot me, he dies."

"Nice to see you too," Natasha looked back at me. "It's okay, Nat. Do your job. You need to shoot. I'll be fine."

"What did I say?!" yelled Keres. Natasha smiled very slightly, but I could see that her eyes were becoming misty. "Always the optimist weren't you, James." Keres looked back and forth between us. "Give me the codes, I'll let him go. You have ten seconds before I cut his throat."

Natasha looked at me and I knew we had the same idea.

"10"

Natasha stared me down, her gun still aimed at Keres.

"9"

Keres drew the knife closer.

"8"

I nodded to Natasha.

"7"

Natasha moved her gun to aim at me.

"6- Ahh!" The last thing I heard was Keres' yelp before everything went black.