Origin Story

Keres stands over me waiting for me to catch my breath. As if that's going to happen anytime soon. I definitely have several broken ribs and because of that, my breaths were slow and shallow. I began to cough. Keres looked at me with what almost looked like pity. Almost.

"Talk. We can end this whenever you want. Or if you aren't ready now," she started with an added edge to her tone. "Just ask me to stop, and I'll head down to Natasha's room and you will be left alone for the rest of the day." I could tell that Keres did not expect me to take this for so long. It was starting to get under her skin. She underestimated my love for Natasha. Maybe I had too. I had not even gotten to tell Nat that I loved her yet. And I did. Love her I mean. I mean, I'd said it, but not to her face. Just to friends who asked about her or to myself in the mirror...normal things. I had a feeling I would never get the chance to tell her though.

I looked back up at Keres, heaving in pain. Keres' deep blue eyes were cold as ice. She looked so perfectly confident in her choices to make others suffer. And yet, at the very back of them danced that pity, that impossibly small bit of shame. "Why do you do it?" I asked. She stared at me for a moment and then sighed. "Mr. Barnes, I am not in the mood for a show and tell of my past. Just give me the codes. Then maybe we'll chat." I was silent. Cold sweat rolled down my temple as she stared at me with devilish intensity. She then took a seat on her chair and sighed once more. For that single moment, she looked tired. Her eyes looked as though they had seen far too much. They were sunken and she looked a bit older.

"There are too many people in this world, Mr. Barnes. People always mean bad things. My parents both died because of people. Have I told you how my mother died?" I shook my head as I clenched my teeth to fight off a pain in my side. Keres continued. "As you know, my father was a high ranking spy and mercenary. He was good at his job though, so people rarely found out that weren't supposed to. Rarely. I've told you of the time he was killed by someone who found out, but my mother also was. Not intentionally though. She died protecting me,"

I looked up at Keres, puzzled. She wasn't looking at me. Her gaze was kept on the floor. She gulped and then continued. "While my mother knew of my father's business practices, she did not engage in them, nor did she always approve, but he loved my father enough to overlook her disapproval of his occupation. She was a simple florist. Innocent right? Don't let that fool you. She was quite a fighter. One day, she took me to the farmer's market where she had a booth to sell her flowers. I was so happy to be there that I let my guard down. A woman walked by our booth as we were fawning over a bouquet, and she had a gun. I was the one first thought of if anyone ever wanted to hurt my father, being his closest connection. I saw the suppressor peak out of her jacket just after my mother. She dove in front of me and took a bullet to the stomach."

I watched as a single tear escaped Keres' eye. She wiped it away very quickly and stood up and turned away from me. I almost wanted to comfort her, tell her it wasn't her fault. All I could manage was "Hell of an origin story you got there." She gave a sad laugh. "Please don't humor me, Mr. Barnes. Pity is the last thing I need from you. What I do need are the goddamn codes," she said, her voice gaining strength again. "I've told you my story, now please tell me yours. Give. Me. The. Codes. It will make everything so much easier."

I shook my head. "Not today, doll. Nat and I aren't going to give you anything-"

"Mne vse ravno what you aren't going to tell me!" she said partially in Russian, her voice raising. She pinched the bridge of her nose, agitated. "You don't care? And here I thought we were becoming friends." I said sarcastically. Keres pursed her lips and stared at me. "Remind me why I'm keeping you alive again? I need a break from you. It's time for your shower anyway. We aren't done yet for today though, so don't get your hopes up."

Just then, I heard a low siren. An alarm. At that moment I knew. Keres' face offered confirmation that I was right. She went even more pale than she was usually and looked momentarily panicked. I smiled for the first time in days. "You're so screwed." I said quietly. Keres looked at me and her mouth turned into an evil grin. "Oh am I?"