(19) Rapunzel's Story

Jack lay there in his bed, looking at the ceiling. When he heard knocking on the door, Jack grumbled, “Go away. I want to be alone.”

      The knocking stopped, and for a moment it was a peaceful silence. Then the knocking started up again. Jack groaned in annoyance as he sat up, “Did you not hear me?! I said go away!”

      “Look,” said a female’s voice outside the door, “I just want to talk to you.”

      “I don’t care,” Jack snapped, “Just get lost.”

      “Don’t make me break this door down Jack!” said the girl’s voice, “I’ll use my frying pan if I have to!” Jack frowned, “You can’t break a door down with a frying pan.”

      “Wanna bet?” asked Rapunzel, “Now, open up!”

      Jack rolled his eyes, “Fine. It’s your doom.” Jack got out his key and walked to the door. Putting it in the lock, he turned it and started to open, “Now, just leave me alo―”

      His voice trailed off when Jack saw her. The first thing that caught his attention was the fact that her hair is so long, even when braided, and it’s as golden as the sun. She also has green eyes, while wearing a pink dress and no shoes on. She looks about eighteen, and for some reason has a chameleon on her shoulder. The fairy, the one that tried to stab Jack in the hand earlier, flew inside.

      Jack frowned, “Why you bring her in?”

      “She wanted to see you. May I come in?”

      Jack shrugged, “Well since you won’t stop bugging me. Sure.”

      The girl walked in. “So, what’s your name blondie?” asked Jack as he smirked. The girl took a deep breath, trying to restrain herself from smacking Jack with the pan. “Rapunzel,” she said.

      “Bless you,” said Jack.

      Rapunzel rolled her eyes, Baby Tooth and Pascal watching the conversation as they sat on the top of the dresser. “Soo,” said Rapunzel, pulling a strand of blonde hair out of her face, “The Prince of Nightmares, huh? Sounds impressive.”

      “Yeah,” said Jack, “And if you were smart, you’d let me leave.”

      “Jack, Pitch isn’t what you think,” Rapunzel insisted, “And I’d know, because I’ve been in your position before.”

      “Oh come on,” said Jack, “Like you know what I’ve been through. You don’t know me! You’re a Guardian.”

      “Oh yeah?” said Rapunzel, “You’ve probably been kept inside Pitch’s lair for, what? Years? Centuries? You’ve also been trying to prove yourself, trying to get Pitch to let you go outside. You’ve felt that you don’t belong, and that you’re different and curious about what lies outside ― shall I continue?”

      Jack paused as he blinked. “H― how did you know that?”

      “Because Jack, I’ve been in that position,” Rapunzel explained, “Centuries ago, before I became Sandy’s apprentice.”

      Jack raised an eyebrow, “Oh yeah?”

      Rapunzel nodded as she sighed, “My Mother, she was really sick, and I was about to be born. So, to heal her, the Guards used this magic golden flower, which can heal anyone. All you have to do, is sing a special song.”

      “You’re kidding,” said Jack. He doesn’t really sing that much.

      Rapunzel tried hard not to giggle, “Nope. They mixed it with some water and fed it to my mother. She was healed, and everyone celebrated as I was born. Everyone was happy.”