The Reemergence

Warning: Angst, fusions, Roceit Somewhat Sympathetic Deceit.
I cried while writing this... I'm sorry (not sorry)
_________________________

The King had returned. Apparently Remus becoming more calm and good natured because of his love for Patton, along with Roman becoming more selfish and loose because of his relationship with Deceit, there was enough of an equilibrium to where they could re-merge. It wasn't a conscious choice for either of them...

When it happened there was shock, especially from the king, Romulus, himself. He had no clue what was happening when it did, but as Logan said, if he reemerged that meant it was ultimately for the best. For Thomas.

But no one was quite sure if it was the best for them.

Logan went back to business as usual fairly quickly. Virgil's anxiety was higher than before. He was constantly pointing out everything that could negatively result from this.

Then there was Patton and Deceit. If anyone asked them, they'd say they were fine. Patton was doing his best to keep morale high and make Romulus feel welcomed. Deceit was working overtime trying to hide what had happened from Thomas, just until the time was right.

But, truth be told. They weren't okay. Their lovers were gone, and things would never be the same.

~
Patton was in the kitchen early one morning. He was making breakfast and keeping himself busy with household work. Busier than usual, like he had all week.

Before, Remus would've been down there with him, helping him, distracting him... Patton shook his head. That was in the past. He needed to move on. It was for the best. Right?

He had just put the toast in the oven when-

"Good morning... Patty Cake."

Patton turned around to see him. The king. He smiled, a real smile, but still a sad one. Remus used to call him that...

"Hi!" Patton said looking up at Romulus. It wasn't so bad really. He was still his friend. He still loved him but, it was different now. Patton looked back at his cooking.

Romulus sighed. "Need any help?"

"Oh? Um, sure." Patton kept his face in his work. Memories flooding back from when he and Remus would make breakfast together. They may or may not have always ended up making out. Occasionally they got so distracted that something would burn. Pat missed that overly crispy bacon.

The king worked alongside him. At one point, a hand touched the small of Patton's back.

"You know I still love you right? It's still me." Romulus said, cutting through the tension like a knife.

Patton sighed. "I know. I love you too. You're so much to me. Now, my best friend the love of my life combined. But it wouldn't be fair to Deceit." He looked up at the king, eyes glistening with tears. "I don't want to put that kind of hurt on him."

Romulus looked down. "I still love him too."

Patton nodded. "Maybe we can figure this out eventually but right now... Right now we just need to adjust to you being you. Keep moving forward." He went back to his work.

They worked in pained silence for a while. Romulus did his best to help Patton. It actually took a lot out of him to not kiss him like he used to when he was Remus.