twelve

twelve: A DYSFUNCTIONAL SLOW DANCE

"you are the only exception,"

BABY HAD TO REMIND herself that taking deep breaths is normal, and it's normal to be nervous. her left hand kept brushing the side of her dress, rubbing the silk fabric together to calm her nerves.

she was sitting on her bed in the corner, watching her girlfriends get ready. they all looked so pretty, she was so happy for them. each one of them got asked by a boy at camp, so they were gossiping about what the night would entail.

but by the end of the night, all of them would have a boy at their side. baby knew that she would make sure of it.

she stood up and walked over to her friends as they finished their last touches. maggie ended up getting a green dress that made her ginger hair look soothing. they all looked gorgeous.

a knock sounded at the door as all the girls looked to see who it was, sure enough, the girls' dates were there. they smiled softly at baby, and dottie patted her back.

"we'll see you there, yeah?" dottie said before grabbing her handbag and walking towards the door with the other two girls.

"yeah, of course." baby smiled at them as they walker out the door, and turned to face herself in the mirror. she tilted her head to the side as she inspected herself. her short hair was straightened, her makeup seemed fine, and she wore her dress. everything should be perfect, but baby felt like something wasn't good enough. that he wouldn't think it's good enough.

she scolded herself internally as she gained up the courage to leave her cabin. the soft breeze hit her bare shoulders, and blew a few side strands into her face. she paid them no mind though, as she went on a search for wednesday.

it was dark, and the moonlight was the only light provided for her. it seemed though that baby wouldn't care if was pitch black. she would find him.

he wasn't at the cliff. he wasn't in the dance hall. he wasn't on the docks. the only place he could be was his cabin, and she didn't know why he would be so far from the festivities.

surely enough, the light was on inside his cabin. and baby was almost going to have an asthma attack from the situation. she felt like she would absolutely die. her small hand tapped lightly on the wooden door as she gulped, waiting for the boy.

wednesday was confused to hear anyone at his cabin, especially at 9:00 PM at night. he rolled his eyes, and opened his drawer to grab a shirt. figuring it was pugsley, yelled at him to come in.

"what do you want?" he yelled annoyed with his back toward the front door.

"sorry, i can leave if you want." baby muttered out and wednesday's heart stopped. he turned slowly to face his girl. his jaw dropped slightly as he scammed the beautiful girl. she looked dazzling.

"n-no!" he gulped, "please, um, what are you doing here?" he managed to let out. scared that if he advanced any closer to her she would freak out and leave him again.

"i," she concentrated on her words as she tried to find them. "well, i was wondering if you would be my date? to the dance?" she looked so cute, but he couldnt help but scowl and cross his arms.