Chapter Seven

I lie on his bed on my side and stared at him.We decided not to go out to eat with everyone else. He stared into my eyes, stroking my arm and smiling at me. 

"Dion?" I say. He continues to stare at me and blinks his eyes twice.

"Do you really wanna be with me?" I ask. His eyebrows furrow and he rubs my cheek lightly with his thumb.

"Ava-" He says, his tone sounding slightly sad.

"Even with knowing I'm pregnant? With four babies?" I say the last part softly. He looks at me like he wants to say something but it's too hard for him to say. 

"You're my best friend Ava." He says.

"So? What exactly are you trying to say?"

"Let's just wait it out and see. We haven't gotten that far yet. It's only been an hour." He says laughing. I just smile. Maybe he's right. I mean, I know he's not gonna wanna think the future so soon. But I'm gonna be due soon and when the babies come, will he still be there? I watched him as he got up quickly and pulled his shoes on.

"Where are you going?" I ask, trying to get up. 

"To go check the mail." He say, pulling on his jacket. What? The mail? I look out his window seeing the mail-man drive away. Dion runs out the room and closes the door behind him. I sigh and struggle to get up. I walk over to the window and watch as he sorts through the mail while walking up his driveway. He stops midway, opening a letter and I see his face light up. I see him laughing and doing a little embarrassing happy dance and I giggle to myself. I wait for him to come back inside and he walks into his room with a huge smile on his face.

"What?" I say plopping down on the bed. He pumps his fist in the air and throws a big envelope on the bed. "What's that?" I say staring at the envelope. 

"Oh, just a letter to my future!" He yells. I pause for a second and realize what he means.

"You got accepted!?" I say.

"I've got the scholarship along with acceptance." He says casually, mimiking a very wealthy and smart man.

"I'm so happy for you!" I yell, pulling him towards me and hugging him tightly. He laughs.

"And I get to do this short program over the summer to help me get extra credits!" He says excitedly. I feel my face fall and so does his. He's gonna be gone. Right when I think I have him, he's gone. Once we graduate, he'll be going off to college across the country!

"Wow." Is all I can say. He watches me intently as I sit on his bed. 

"I thought you'd be happy." He says in a deeper voice than usual. I look up at him and give a weak smile.

"I am, I am happy for you." I say quietly. He shakes his head and throws his arms in the air angrilly.

"Seriously!? What could you possibly be upset about now!?" He yells. I look at him sadly and then look away quickly.

"Ava, this is a huge deal for me! College! I'm going to college Ava." He says. I sigh and nod my head.

"I know, and I'm happy for you! I really am. It's just-"

"Just what? You don't like the college or something?" He says. Anger flooding his eyes. I look away and get up.

"No, I think this is such an amazing deal for you. Dion, I really am happy for you." I say. I walk away from him and head out his room. He stops me and pulls my elbow.

"What. Is. The. Deal?" He says, emphasizing each word. I sigh and he tilts my head to look up at him.

"You're...you're leaving D..." I say. He lets go of me slowly and shakes his head.