A KILLER ON THE MOVE

This chapter is dedicated to poshdella and Tochdam for helping out with the Yoruba part of the chapter. Thanks ladies. I love you.

10TH October 1960,

It was only this morning, when we had received a visitor that came with news which changed the course of my life. The country of my birth had just received independence from the one I didn't know was also home and yet soon after that, I had lost my entire family. I had no idea they were mine to begin with. I feel like my entire life has been one big lie! Who should I be mad at? Mama? Papa? My biological father who couldn't fight to keep me or Mama? Confusion fills my mind, as questions I have no answers to are desperately sought after. What does this mean for me? Is Mama going to let them do this? I don't want my life to change; I am very happy with how my life is now. If there really is a killer on the move, am I next? All of these questions are what filled my mind as I opened my eyes this morning. I just pray this is all a dream.

Love, Mide.

"Every member of the Royal Family is dead! The whole world is in shock," I heard the broadcaster say, as I stopped dead in my tracks. What did they mean by every member of the royal family is dead? They were the most powerful family in the world and yet someone or a group of people murdered them? I couldn't stop the thoughts running through my mind as I barged into my parents' room.

"Ayomide Williams! What do you think you are doing?" Papa asked me sternly.

"What did that man mean?" I asked him in return, totally ignoring his initial question.

"It is not something for you to concern yourself with, now leave my room," he replied me with the same unyielding tone he had the first time he spoke.

"Mama? Please what is going on?" I directed my question to her, seeing Papa was hell bent on not replying me. For all I cared he could punish me later. I could see tears falling from Mama's eyes, and that was even more confusing than the news I had just heard.

"Mama! Papa! I am home. Where is everyone?" we heard my brother Tolu yell from the living room.

Soon enough he finds us all in our parent's room and he was looking at everyone like we were all carrying fire on our heads. I can bet the tension can be cut with a knife.

"Ki ló ń ṣẹlè? (What is going on?)" he asked all of us, yet no one in particular.

"Kò sí ń kankan ò ṣẹlè (Nothing is going on)," Mama replied him.

"Mo má padà sí ẹ Mide, ní sìn padà lọ sí ìyàrá ẹ. Èmi àti ìyá ẹ fé padà sí nkan ti a n se télè kí ó tó dá wa dúró (I will get back to you Mide, now go to your room. Your mum and I will like to get back to what we were doing before you interrupted us)," Papa said to me, looking at me daringly expecting me to throw a tantrum. I had had enough of this, and so I stormed off to my room ensuring I slammed my bedroom door behind me.

"What did she do wrong?" Tolu asked again.

"Can you drop it son? Your constant asking won't make me tell you either!" Papa yelled, clearly annoyed about the interrogation coming from my brother and I.

"Neither will your refusing to answer make me less curious," muttered Tolu under his breathe. Of course he couldn't dare dream of saying that out loud to Papa. That would have landed him in a 'pot of soup' as Papa likes to say. Finally, Tolu gave up and went to his room to change.

I was still brooding in my room and I really wanted answers. Why did the news of their death affect my parents so much? I know Mama used to work in Britain before she met Papa; could that be why she felt sad about the news?