Chapter 7 -- Inner Artist

Troy's POV

Being a human means having hobbies, and having hobbies in highschool means taking classes for those hobbies. While I looked over the enrollment sheets and chose my classes, I was able to choose from a variety of different electives. I wanted to do something that I don't normally do all of the time -- something that would broaden my horizons a bit. There was culinary club, photography, choir, even square dance (whatever that was). Since I had already had some previous training in other clubs, I narrowed it down to four classes -- I was allowed to choose two for my first semester and the classes alternated every week.

The four choices were international club, art, youth in government, and improv. Now I was really interested in all of these topics, but I wanted to choose two that only humans could really do. I wanted something that helped me learn more about the humans and would help me act more like a human. I wanted something that you couldn't get back home. I wanted to experience the human race and it's culture.

Naturally, I chose art and improv.

As I gathered up my trash and got ready to head to next period, I realized that Andy had taken my schedule with him. The thought made me laugh because Andy totally seemed like that guy who forgot things easily. What was with that kid anyway? Maybe it's just a human thing but I wouldn't have just invited myself into a complete stranger's company like he had. Don't get me wrong because I appreciated it, but I still found it strange, and I'm not exactly sure why either.

I walked to art with everyone's eyes still on me. I'd been told of what it would be like to be on the surface world, but I still hadn't got used to all of the all of the attention. When you come from a small farm you don't know that many people. I walked down the hall, and out the door, and towards the art center. I went inside to see a brightly colored and beautifully decorated hallway. I'd never seen so many paintings together in my life. There was a bulletin board with advertisements for choral concerts and plays and art contests. I turned the corner and looked at each door that I passed until I saw the room labeled "painting".

The art room had gray cement floors covered in paints of all hues. On the far wall there were huge floor to ceiling windows that overlooked the sports field. On other walls were paintings, sketches, and, surprise surprise, paint splatters. Easels and tables were set up with paintings in various forms of progression, and a closet of art supplies was to my right. There were already four kids there who were all sitting at tables. Some of them talked while others put their heads on the tables in an attempt to rest their eyes.

I saw Hannah, that strange girl who kept staring at me sitting at a table by herself near the large window. Looking around, the only other people I saw were a boy and a girl, both with brightly dyed hair and ripped clothing sitting together at one table. The other kid was a short, baby-faced blond girl who looked like she's just been crying. Since there were only three tables (why?) I decided that the best person to sit with would be Hannah.

I moved over to where she was sitting. It looked like she was scraping bits of dried paint off of the table and she hadn't noticed me yet, but why? All of the others had stared at me when I came in, but once again, she seemed to resist the Ocean's Pull. I sat down at the seat across from her. She finally looked up.

"Oh!" She jumped when she saw me and started to blush a deep red. I was feeling a little awkward about that, but I tried to keep an open expression.

"Hi," I said cheerily.

"Hi," she replied meekly.

I tried not to feel too sad. It wasn't her fault that she was being so shy around me, but I really wished that girls wouldn't have to act the same way around me up here.