Chapter 8 -- Frayed Around the Edges

Troy's POV

"So here is the main hallway. Not too many kids have lockers down here as you can probably tell, but it's one of the most crowded halls in the school, so I wouldn't come down here too often."

"Why is it so crowded?" I asked.

Andy shrugged. "I guess it's the one place in the school where no definite 'hangout spots' are established. It's also where the main classes are, you know, like English, History, stripping." Andy started laughing like he'd said the funniest thing ever. "Sorry man, just messing with you."

I frowned. "Stripping?"

Andy smiled but he looked a little weirded out. "Ha, yeah good one."

Andy and I were strolling down the main hall together. It was free period and Andy had offered to take me on a tour of the school. So we hadn't seen too much -- or anything, really, but Andy have given me a brief rundown of the schedule and the classes. Everything was going well, and I enjoyed Andy's company, but there were still other things I wanted to know about that went beyond academics.

"So Andy . . . tell me about the kids."

Andy looked at me with a smile. "The kids? What do you wanna know?"

I shrugged. "Well, who's who and who should I look out for?"

Andy laughed and rubbed his hands together. We walked over to a bench where Andy sat down; I remained standing. "Well this is fun. Okay well first-off, the 'who's who' as you say would be the jocks. I know, cliche, but I guess I can't speak cos I play football like the rest of them." Andy chuckled appreciatively. Since I didn't get his joke like usual I just stood there patiently waiting for him to continue.

"The big guy on campus would be Eddie. He's a pretty cool guy and he deosn't hate on people or beat 'em up or anything like that -- ha! Well, not unless they mess with his girlfriend."

I snorted at that one myself. I remembered all too well how fast Eddie went from happy to raging bull in two seconds.

"So who should I stay away from?" I asked.

Andy seemed to ponder that a little bit. "Um, I wouldn't really say there's anyone to be afraid of or anything, but be wary of sluts."

"Sluts? What-"

"Just look out for the girls who throw themselves at you and touch you and flirt with you and shit. Yeah, some of them or just flirting. But if you see any of them cuddling up to other guys, walk the other way man, and don't give them the time of day."

Hmm, interesting. I wasn't entirely sure what a "slut" was, but I could ask Andy some other time, and I could tell by the way he talked about them he didn't like them one bit.

"Well are there any specific sluts to look out for?" I asked.

Andy chuckled. "Well, sure. There are tons."

I rolled my eyes. "Specifically?"

Andy thought for a second. "Oh, well there's Amy Tanner. She's a total slut, but I've dated her -- don't ask. There's a bunch of Amy's friends . . ." Andy lowered his voice, and the next words he spoke were mumbled, almost like he didn't want me to hear. I wished that I hadn't heard too. ". . . Hannah Campbell . . ."

* * *

Hannah's POV

"Ok bye Eddie, I made it to Macie's."

"As long as you're ok, well see ya at da party."

"Really Eddie? Don't talk like that it's stupid."