Chapter 9

"Bonnie?" A sweet and innocent voice slipped from the darkness. The replica of me started to shake violently and then she just collapsed. Bit by bit the memories were coming back like a night time tide, gradual yet precise. Jack swiftly removed the knife from his chest and dropped it on the floor. He quickly lifted his shirt up. His flawless skin revealed no wound. Nothing remained, only a few drops of blood. I gasped for the breath I never took. He could heal, he was pale, he had super strength and he erased my memory... Jack Salvatore the vampire, was also a liar. I stood rooted to the spot. He reached down to the floor and with a black handkerchief he dabbed at the blood that stained the cream carpet.

As he reached for the knife I remembered something. I could manipulate not only gravity but the objects around me. I could touch anything. With that thought in mind I plunged for the knife before he could. Just as my fingers touched the bloody knife branches of arms fed their way around my stomach, preventing me from continuously stabbing the guy. Before I could scream out one of the branches clasped my mouth and forced me out of the room. Bright circles of light cast ripples across the mysterious tree. It was Jack.

"You have seen enough, come back with me," he whispered in a worried tone. "GET OFF-," his cold hand covered my mouth. "Shut up or they will hear you, you will cause a ripple in time." His voice filled with complete irritation and anxiety. "Get off me you filthy cold thing," I spat out. He flinched at me as though I was a deranged creature that needed to be locked away. I glared at him like he was a complete stranger, I wish he was. I wish I never had those dreams of him and I. I wish I never knew he was a vampire and I wish things could just go back to the way they used to be. "I know what you did Jack," I said moving myself further away from him.

"Listen we can talk more if we go back, you clearly know everything, come on we don't have much time." He tried to catch my arm but I grasped it back, I was reluctant to give myself to this blood sucking machine. Who knew how many innocent people he had killed. "I dont need your assitance to go back i'm fairly capable on my own," I replied backing away further. "At this rate you won't have any other choice but to take my hand Bonnie, we need to go." I inhaled deeply, I could feel the wall behind me, he was right. I didn't have any other choice but to take his hand. If i didn't, if I tried to run away I could create mistakes in time. If they saw me then it would just create a loophole and that wouldn't be so great. Taking his arm I closed my eyes and whispered, "After today imagine we never met Jack." And with that I was immediately removed from the eerie world that was the past.

When I opened my eyes I realised that we had returned to today in time. A sigh of relief escaped from me as my eyes tried to focus on my surroundings in the dark room. The candle that Jack held was now a dim flicker of hope. Now that I knew the truth I felt like a desolate and hollow shell was forming around me. As Jack had recovered from the sudden movement in time, he latched his brown spheres of guilt onto mine. He shifted uncomfortably on the sofa. The minature clockwork ornament in his head attempted to conjure up a sentence to break the eerie silence forming between us. Avoiding any sort of contact I echoed, "You need to leave." I could feel his eyes burning into my skin as he said,"Are you afraid?" The three famous words flew out and smacked me in the face. Are you afraid. He said that to me in my dream and in town. The thought of any contact with Jack made me want to vomit up all of the dreams. He wasn't even human. The dream I had, what if? What if i was a ..

"Bonnie, are you okay?" He could have looked like he was genuinely worried about me but why would he be? He was probably playing with his food, he should just drain all of the life from me, recycle me, and let the balance of nature do the rest. "No." He inched himself closer, "What's wrong are you.." "JACK," I threw my body onto the pillow furthest away from him. He exhaled and crumpled back to his previous spot. "I'm not afraid of you, i'm afraid of being around you and what you are capable of doing." I closed my eyes and shook my head away from him, disgust slowly building through my voice. "Bonnie, I'm capable of protecting you." "Yeah sure, I wonder how many people you told that story to right before you drained their life away from them." Images of vulnerable and innocent people flashed before my eyes and I could see Jack mutilating and manifesting on their blood. A cold shiver swam through my spine.