Chapter 3

Cara's POV

Previously:

It felt as if I was in one of my nightmares, but I couldn't wake up.

The dead people on the streets had their necks torn open, but blood wasn't pouring out of the wounds like it should've been.

This wasn't an animal attack.

This was done by a vampire.

*************************************

My head was spinning, and I felt as if I was going to faint. I had to get away; I had to clear my head. Stumbling away from all of the bodies, I wasn't even paying attention to where I was going, just as long as it was away from here. Once I had finally gotten my footing, I began running; sprinting as fast as I could. My breathing was uneven, and my hair was flying behind me like a cape, but nevertheless-I couldn't deny how good it felt to get some clean air into my system.

The pavement pounding underneath my feet was the only thing I could hear besides my heart pounding in my ears. I could feel my legs going numb, but I didn't care. I just needed to get away, as far away from everything as possible. I was all the way on the other side of town before I had to begin to slow down.

I could see a small ally up ahead, and I planned to catch my breath in its secluded area. I slowed to a walk as I turned the corner and rested my back on the cool brick. I slid down the rough edges of the wall until I was sitting on the hard pavement, my head tilted up towards the night sky.

My chest was rising and falling at an alarming rate, and I had to force myself to control my breathing. I closed my eyes as I sat there for what felt like ages, but could've only been mere minutes. It was only when my breathing was steady did I finally open my eyes and try to think about what I had just witnessed.

My lip trembled at the thought of Luke doing this to all of these poor, innocent people. He couldn't have done this; he wouldn't, I thought. I shook my head in determination. No, he wouldn't.

But if he didn't do it, then who did...?

Just as the thought crossed my mind, I heard rustling outside of the ally. My breath caught in my throat, by my heart leaped at the possibility of it being Luke.

I needed him really badly right now.

I immediately jumped to my feet, and was just about to go see who it was, when a lone figure came into view at the ally entrance. I felt all of the blood drain from my face as the pale moonlight illuminated the blonde hair of the figure, and his familiar face. I took a staggering step backwards as blood dripped from his mouth and fell to the floor.

A sick feeling fell over me at the thought of him doing this to all of these people, but as much as I wanted to deny it, the blood all over him was proof. This sick feeling almost overpowered the shock of seeing him again.

Almost.

"Niall," I whispered almost inaudibly. (A.N. How many of you thought it was Luke?) His name felt strange on my tongue, yet familiar at the same time. Only two days had passed since I had last seen him, but it felt like centuries.

"Cara." A mixture of disbelief and anger was planted on his features, and I felt my heart begin to beat faster. My feet were unconsciously moving backwards, but before I could register it, Niall stood inches in front of me. I let out a small shriek as I fell back onto the ground. I was paralyzed with fear; I physically couldn't force myself to move away, no matter how hard I tried.

"I'm not going to hurt you," He whispered, but I just stared up at him silently, my arms and legs trembling uncontrollably.

"Did you kill all of those people?" I asked, my voice unsteady. Niall's face was unreadable.