Chapter 2: November 8th 1993

Before I knew it the sun had started to rise outside. Things had carried over into early morning. Yet we still found ourselves standing right in front of the front door.

"Wait give me the note back Daniel..."

I watched as she scrunched her eyes scanning the note repeatedly.

What is it Joanna?

"Oh God.."

She swiftly threw herself towards the white jeep that still remained on the street. I followed her with a jog of my own.

"In the note Daniel. In the note she mentions the Hershey's bar."

She pops open the glove compartment to reveal a couple of Hershey's bars and a half eaten bar still sloppily left open.

"Every time she gets the Hershey's bar for me she always leaves me one in the glove compartment just in case I get a sweet tooth while I'm at work or something. She must have put something in here Daniel."

She began taking everything out and putting it on the passenger seat of the car. I stared blankly at the candy bars she placed down. Then glanced over at the now empty glove compartment. Nothing.

"There's got to be something Daniel. There's got to be something, I don't know why I didn't check before but there has got to be something. Daniel please help me.."

Joanna theres nothing in the glove compartment. It's just these candy bars. Nothing Joanna.

I softly picked up the candy bars one by one twirling them around in my hand. The candy bars had more weight than my heart did at that point. My muscles were weak, my voice slipping. She looked at me for a second and began speaking but I could hear nothing. It was like everything around me stopped. I stared at the half eaten candy bar. I visualized her eating it, I visualized her sitting in the car texting with the candy bar in her hand and them some bastard sneaking up on her. Some bastard...

Shit. Joanna...There's a hair in the wrapper.

"wh..what?"

Her hand was shaking as she grabbed the candy bar from me and peered into the wrapper. Ever so discretely could you see the dark strands of hair neatly put into the side of the wrapper.

"Daniel we need to go to the police station. Now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The weight of the grueling hours we waited was heavy on both of us. I could feel a brewing emptiness in my soul and I just knew that it was the hope trying to cling on as best as possible. We were in a bland room with just the table we sat at and a chair in front of us. When the detective finally came in we perked up.

"Im Detective Marshall Briggs. With the missing persons unit."

We stared blankly at him. Waiting for him to give us the update we had been hoping for.

"You guys were right. The hairs processed from the candy wrapper were a match."

To who?

I responded sitting in closer.

"Do you guys by chance recognize this man?"

He slid a picture of a man in front of us. Looked like a completely normal guy: dark brown hair, half smile, brown eyes, medium build. Not much to him. Looked like someone I wouldn't notice either if I were walking through the grocery store. I shook my head at the detective.

Never seen that man in my life.

I looked over at Joanna. Her eyes were widened and she trembled slightly.