STOMPED ON ROSES

Stokeley sat in the hospital chair as his leg bounced up and down

Stokeley sat in the hospital chair as his leg bounced up and down. The only thing on his mind at the moment was Aliza. He couldn't get her blooded beaten face out of his mind. He couldn't believe that someone could do that to Aliza. Let alone a woman in general. Stokeley was brought back to reality by the sound of his phone ringing.

"Hello?" he said quickly answering his phone.

"Aye vro where you at?" Stokeley heard his best friend Jahseh say into the phone.

"I'm at the hospital right now"

"Wait for what? What the fuck happened!" Jahseh said in a panicked voice.

"I'm fine Jahseh. I'm here with Aliza man. She got beat up pretty bad Vro," Stokeley said sighing while running his hand down his face.

"Who the fuck is Aliza? Is that the shorty you was simpin over?"

"Yeah and no I'm not simpin over nobody," Stokeley lied while rolling his eyes.

"Well is she okay?"

"I'm not su-"

"Aliza Johnson!" Stokeley heard a doctor call out while looking around the room.

"Hol' on imma call you back vro," the boy said hanging up without letting his friend even get the chance to respond. Stokeley stood up and made his way towards the doctor

"Is she okay?" Stokeley said feeling frantic and anxious about his friend. 

"Are you her family sir?"

"Yeah I'm her brother," Stokeley lied effortlessly.

"Well she's stable now. We did have to give her stitches under her lower right eye, she also had a few fractured ribs. Ms. Joshson sustains quite some damage but she should be okay now," the doctor said reassuringly.

"Okay, can I see her?" Stokeley was relieved that Aliza would be okay and felt a weight get lifted off his shoulder. 

"She's still sleeping but you can go in now," the doctor nodding his head.

"Okay," Stokeley said then went to check in at the front desk and eventually made it to Aliza's room. He opened the door quietly and closed it behind him. There she was in all her glory. Stokeley pulled a chair close by and sat next to her. He studied her chest as it rose and fell. There was something tranquil about listening to her breaths he thought to himself. He massaged her hand in his and eventually, Stokeley could feel himself dozing off at the sound of beeping from the monitor.

~

Aliza woke up and felt nothing but pure pain shoot throughout her body. The girl looked around the blinding white hospital room with squinted eyes confused. She felt a weight on her legs and looked down to see Stokeley. He had climbed into the hospital bed and was sleeping all curled up with his head on her thighs. Aliza's first thought was that he looked so cute, but then she realized he was drooling on her and he became not so cute anymore.

The girl didn't want to wake him but she wanted to know what was going on. She placed her finger on his nose and rubbed it softly until he woke up. He shifted in his sleep before he jumped up.

"Aliza you good?" he said hopping off the bed and sitting in the chair nearby. 

"I'm just in a bit of pain right now. What happened?" The girl said sitting up in the bed and looking at the worried Stokeley.

"Jordan beat you up pretty bad," he said looking down at his hands. Aliza was in disbelief. Jordan had only put her in the hospital one other time and after that, he promised her it would never happen again but she knew that was a lie. 

Aliza didn't know what else to do but burst into tears. Aliza never was the type of girl to cry in front of others. So if she did there was a serious reason for it. Stokeley's first instinct was to pull the girl into a hug. Holding her felt like he was holding a newborn baby because she was so fragile and he was scared to hurt her.  Aliza felt bad for crying all over Stokeley's nice shirt but Stokeley could honestly care less about his shirt right now.

Right in the middle of Aliza's crying, there was a knock on the door. A nurse came in and smiled at the two.

"Hello Ms. Johnson how are you feeling today?" She said while taking Aliza's vitals.

"I'm in a bit of pain right now," Aliza said shifting uncomfortably.

"Okay I'll go get you some medication for your pain," the nurse said wrapping up and then making her way out of the room.

"Aliza I know you probably don't want to hear this right now but you need to break up with Jordan. He might kill you next time, you never know," Stokeley said getting angry just thinking about it.

"StokeleyI tried that already. That's how I ended up in the hospital in the first place," The girl said sighing and running her fingers through her hair. She really appreciated Stokeley for caring so much but Aliza knew there was no possible way for her to get away from Jordan.

"I swear to God Aliza next time I see this so-called boyfriend of yours I'm beating his fucking ass," Stokeley said punching his fist into his hand. It was as if God had heard Stokeley's wish and in came Jordan with a bouquet of roses. 

'Fucking flowers,' Aliza thought to herself rolling her eyes. Jordan stopped in his tracks once he saw Stokeley there.

"Ayo who let this clown ass nigga in," Jordan said in disgust. 

Aliza could feel it in her gut that something was about to go down so she pressed the call button. Stokeley turned around and as soon as he made eye contact with Jordan Aliza could have sworn she saw his eyes turn completely black. Stokeley jumped out of the chair making it fall on the ground as he went toward Jordan. He wasted no time or a single word before punching the boy square in the jaw. Jordan stumbled back and tried to hit Stokeley but he was tackled to the ground. Aliza watched as Stokeley sent multiple blows to Jordan's face. As much as Aliza hated to admit it she didn't want Stokeley to stop. But she knew that this wouldn't solve anything so she decided to speak up.

"Boys stop it," Aliza screamed. But Stokeley didn't listen. The only thing on his mind was hurting the one who had hurt Aliza. He sent more hard hits to Jordan's face and there was blood on his knuckles.

Sooner or later security came it and broke the two boys apart from each other. Jordan was beaten up pretty badly and Stokeley had only a scratch above his eyebrow. The security had tried to kick both Jordan and Stokeley out of the hospital but Aliza convinced security to allow Stokeley to stay. They were hesitant but soon allowed him to.

Once everything had calmed down again and the adrenaline was out of Stokeley's body he could think clearly now. The only thing on his brain was Aliza. In fact, Aliza had been the ONLY thing on his brain ever since he met the girl. He couldn't stop thinking about her and that was the problem.

"Do you feel better now?" Aliza said with her arms crossed over her chest as she looked at the boy with a raised eyebrow. 

"Nah not until I do this," Stokeley said shaking his head and rushing over to the girl. Aliza was confused about what was going on until she felt Stokeley's lips on hers. Stokeley could feel his clouded mind soon clear. On the other hand Aliza was shocked that Stokeley had kissed her in a time like this. Although Stokeley was just giving off aggressive and angry vibes just a minute ago all of that seemed to fade once he kissed the girl. The two lips moved in sync as if they were in a trance.

Although Stokeley was still sort of a stranger to Aliza she felt comfortable with him.