chapter one

*Bethany*

Thunder shook the sky violently, and the rain that accompanied it suddenly picked up intensity and severity, began to spill with power. I pulled back the curtains, now curious. The low Seattle skyline was now dark and brewing a sure recipe for disaster. I ran a hand though my hair and sighed. Great, just great.
My closet is a mess, I decided. Still, I didn't have time to fool with it. A pale pink button up, and dark slacks with dark ankle boots. I grabbed my brief case and ran down the stairs of my apartment. Clutching my umbrella I pulled it open and made a run for it. I had to take an unusual route to my car. I pulled the keys out and began to drive.

The roads are treacherous. I checked the time. 7:59. Well, this day just keeps getting better and better. I'm stuck in traffic. I groaned. I'm going to be AT LEAST 20 minutes late.

-

"S-sorry I'm late!" I pant to Smith.

"You're okay Agent Walters. The rain screwed everyone! We're still waiting on SSAs Hamilton and Axen."

I smiled, shaking my head. Hamilton would be late wether there wasn't a car in Seattle except hers and the day was clear and bright or if we there was a known impending apocalypse.

I walked into my office where I collapsed in a chair, and began to file paper work. My cell phone began to buzz.

"Walters."

"Hello SSA Walters. I bet you weren't expecting this call..."

-

"Excuse me sir, but did I hear you correct? Transfer! I can't just transfer! I love it here in Seattle! It's been 3 years since FBI Las Vegas and 6 since Jacksonville! You can't!"

"Ms.-"

"Doctor." I corrected.

"Doctor, I can and will do whatever I chose or you will find a different job. Watch the tone!"

I clamped my mouth shut. Every three years.

"And a good day to you, Ousbourne!" I said as sarcastically as I could manage without getting caught. The line went dead.

Just then Hamilton burst into the room. Her brown coils stuck out in every direction, watery brown eyes wide, warm skin practically aglow.

"HAPPY 3 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!" She cried. "I cannot believe it's been 3 years since you joined the Federal Bureau of Investigation Seattle!" She cried. "We have a gift for you and-" her rambling stopped when she noticed I was crying.

"What's wrong, hon?" she asked, face contorting into a frown. "Bethany Walters never cries, ever. Tough as nails. Open up."

"I'm leaving. I'm getting transferred to the Behavioral Analysis Unit in Quantico, Virginia. On my 3 year anniversary. I'm sorry. I need to pull myself together." I mumbled wiping my tears quickly with my wrists.

"Oh Beth!" Ashlyn gasped, voice filled with sympathy.

"I'm okay Ash. Just how am I supposed to Smithers?"

"Don't worry, I'm sure Smithy will understand."

The weather matched my mood perfectlyv.