chapter fifteen

*Spencer*

One day after abduction. The loss- even though temporary- was getting to us.

"I have news." Hotch said grimly.

"What?"

"Last night J.J was taken from her hotel room..."

My heart plummeted to my feet.

"Are you sure?" I asked. He nodded. "How long have you known?"

"About a half hour."

"AND YOU DIDN'T THINK TO TELL US?" I shouted, now livid.

"I had direct orders."

"I DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT WHAT ORDERS YOU WERE GIVEN! God Hotch, how could you not tell us?"

"I'm going to need you to stand down, Doctor."

"To hell with that! Two of our teammates- our- our friends are God knows what!"

"Reid, you need to calm down this instant, or I'm going to have to take you off this case."

-

Pointless preliminaries. I hate standing around waiting for something to happen. I scowl at the wall. Beth sits down next to me.

"Hey," I mutter.

"Hi. How are you holding up?"

"Not very. It's just, Jesus Christ how could he be so selfish?"

"I know it's hard. But, were just going to have to work extra hard. Let the pain fuel you."

I tugged at her bangs. "You're deep, you know that?" She laughed.

"You need- Hmmm..." she frowned and tapped her chin. "Classical music!" She excitedly showed me jazz hands. She fumbled with Pandora a bit and turned on a classical station. The first song that came on was A Rachmaninoff Waltz and Romance.

"Oh no," I shook my head furiously.

"Oh yes!" She smiled and grabbed my hands. She took me to the living room where we began to dance.

"I don't dance," I said matter-of-factly.

"You do now."
I rolled my eyes, but I couldn't help but find myself having a good time, staring into those intense grey eyes.

"So, I guess since I never formally asked, will you be my girlfriend?"

"I'd be honored."

And we stayed that way for a long time, dancing till our feet hurt and our hearts filled with love.