chapter nine

*Spencer*

I walked out of my room quickly, anxious to get going. Everyone else was waiting in the hotel lobby so we could head to the station. After a while the entire team was gathered and we all got in the suburbans.

Morgan was driving ours, Prentiss sat shot-gun, then Bethany, J.J and me sat in the second row. It was weird. I hadn't even talked to Bethany this morning, even though what happened last night was beyond special.

Maybe it was just too awkward... After all it was my second kiss. But my first one with meaning. I decided to quit over thinking it, it was probably better for the relationship anyway.

-

"Haven't seen one like this before," The pathologist frowned.

"Yes, neither have we," I laughed awkwardly. "So," I said quickly trying to redirect the topic. I feel bad for laughing next to the body of a dead person. "What was the cause of death?"

"Stab to the heart, stabs, to the heart. Before that, lots of superficial nicks and cuts. But the weird thing is, stabs are also post mordem. And yeah, they would be fatal. Also in the heart."

"Can I take look?" Bethany finally asked, slipping on gloves.

"If you say so." And the pathologist pulled back the paper to reveal the body of Savannah. The figure was pale, and the heart was open and exposed.

"Maybe he does this because he's been deemed unattractive- be it by himself, a lover, society," I suggested.

"You're right!" Bethany exclaimed. "You're a genius, Spence." and she kissed me gently on the cheek, lighting my face up.