Tan the Ant

There's one thing saddening me today. I didn't see my friend Tan yesterday, and so far he hasn't shown up for today. Tan is different to me. He is, well, an ant. It is kind of a strange fellowship I guess, but we get along well. Did you know that he even chose my name for me? And if I do die one day, at least he can say a prayer for me and tell me to "Rest in Peace". Wait a minute, there he comes. I guess I missed him yesterday because it was raining yesterday. Rain and ants, you see, don't get on well together. After all, a raindrop can be several times larger than my little friend. Imagine being hit by the equivalent of one bathtub of water after another. Too many of those and you're history.

I am glad he is here because today is an important day and he can share it with me. Today, you see, I am going to narrate everything that happens to me. I guess that's why I called this story "A Day in the Life of a Flower".

"Hi Tan, what are you up to?" I whispered in flower language, which as you should know all ants understand.

"Hi Bluwer, nothing really, today's my day off, so I'm gonna rest all day. Permission of my Majesty. She told me I deserve a rest." I nodded my understanding. Or was it the breeze making me nod. This always confuses me.

"You know Bluwer, I sometimes wish I was a flower like you. You just stand there the whole day, with nothing to do. The water you need just falls from the sky and you don't have to run for cover when it rains like I do."

"Day off!" I exclaimed in surprise realising just what good news this was. "Wow, that's great! Now you can stay with me the whole day and help me describe my day to all these lovely readers." Tan looked interested. But there was something I needed to say to him before I started describing my day.

"Tan," I told him, "you would never want to be a flower. You wouldn't like it. In fact I wish I was like you, an ant. You can go wherever you want. But I'm stuck here day after day. Not only that but life is so uncertain. Remember your other flower friends, the ones that lived side by side. Remember you were going to say 'hi' to them one day. Tell our readers what happened, Tan."

"Yes, said Tan miserably. "I remember. When I went to greet them, they weren't there... just vanished into thin air, I guess. I looked everywhere. It puzzled me cos you flowers don't have legs. You can't move. I hope this never happens to you, Bluwer."

"I couldn't agree with you more, Tan," I replied fervently. "Just the thought of it scares me to death!" And then, suddenly, two humans appeared. "Watch out, Tan, here comes two human things. Quickly, climb on me so they don't step on you!"