Chapter 6

The weather was as perfect as Kallum said it would be. Not a cloud hung in the sky and the warmth wasn't humid. If I weren't joining them for the barbecue today, I might've had my own on the beach front and gone for a swim in the surf afterward. Depending on when the event ended, I might even convince Kallum to join me later on.

Soft gusts billowed through the thin trees either side of the house, the rustle of dry leaves peaceful to me. I closed my eyes and listened carefully, enjoying the serenity of the quiet street before I left for the birthday party.

I decided to wear my warm yellow floral dress that hung mid-thigh and crossed into a knot over my bust. A little cleavage was visible, but it was pretty and classy, and really, who gave a shit what I wore. I was about to join a backyard filled with doctors and nurses; I was going to be out of my league despite what I chose to wear.

Be that as it may, I'd decided to put more effort into my appearance than usual for the event. My hair was straightened and fell halfway to my waist, and my bangs were sharp and neat, framing my face. With the exception of last Saturday night, so often I threw my hair up in a ponytail or a bun – usually due to the heat and the fact that it was just the easier option – that I'd forgotten how nice my hair looked when it cascaded down my upper frame. It somehow softened my features and aged me at the same time.

I wouldn't say I was a girly-girl. But I wasn't exactly a tom-boy, either. I was smack-bang in between; like, I wouldn't wear pink, but I wouldn't wear baggy clothes, either.

After slipping on some black tie-up sandals with the giftbag of wine in one hand and my clutch bag in the other, I'd ordered an Uber on the app and sat down to wait on the porch chair.

Thankfully, my mother was already gone before I started getting ready this morning. Although Kall and I had been friends for so long that we'd become like family, our families – meaning our parents – weren't close at all. Other than organising our meet ups and sleep overs when we were younger, our parents never socialised. They spoke only as often as they had to, never more than needed, instead avoiding each other as much as possible. Or at least Andrew avoided my mother, and my mother got used to it.

Not that I blamed him. He knew a lot about my life – having heard it from me or Kall or having witnessed firsthand – and I guess he chose to save himself the trouble of being too close to a flame that was made to burn.

My ride pulled up and I made for the car. Greeting the driver, I hopped in the back seat and he took off towards Kall's place.

I wasn't nervous as such, but I was nervous for Kallum. It had been only Andrew and Kallum for the past ten years – excluding Mary and myself – so it was definitely going to be a learning curve bringing Andrew's new girlfriend into the mix.

The drive was a short ten minutes or so, so I let my mind wander as I raked my finders through the straight strands of my hair, enjoying the featheriness to it. In fact, I'd felt lighter overall the past day and a half and wanted to relish it while it lasted – no arguments with my mother, no alcohol induced mistakes and having kept my job; I'd say the big guy upstairs was looking out for me or something. And I appreciated it.

Pulling up outside, I grabbed up my stuff and opened the door. "Thank you," I told the driver and shut it behind me, the fee charged to my card on the app.

Waltzing to the front door, I double checked myself one last time. I hoped I wasn't underdressed.

I pressed the doorbell and waited. Thirty seconds later the door flung open, gracing a fancy Kallum in jeans and light polo shirt. "Don't you look dashing," I approved as he stepped back to let me in, giving me a quick hug on the way through.