An Unpleasant Surprise

The next morning, everyone was ready for the festival. Sofia and Hugo were beyond nervous because they were too busy worrying about Shuriki.

"Are you kids okay?" Mateo asked.

"I bet they're scared of the Sirenas," Naomi suggested bitterly.

"No, we're more scared of Shuriki—you know that defeating her is the only way for us to get home," Sofia frowned.

"I was going to have Elena ride alone as the guest of honor, but the greatest Protectors of the Ever Realm will have the honor to ride with you," Cristobal smiled.

"We're the only Protectors of the Ever Realm so far, but thanks," Hugo smiled.

"We'll ride with them, Your Excellency," Mateo offered.

Gabe, Naomi, and Mateo rode with Elena and the kids on their float, but something bad caught their eyes.

"What's going on?" Hugo gulped.

There were many people dressed in masks and costumes of Shuriki, and they had no idea which was the real one.

"There are the Delgados!" Mateo pointed out. "I'll go after Victor." He flew off on Migs.

"I got Carla," Gabe said, flying off on Dulce.

"She's a Malvago now—you'll need help!" Naomi told him, flying after him on Luna.

The floats had cannons shooting out confetti.

"I bet my brother would go goo-goo gaga for this," Sofia giggled.

But then the float turned to a dead end, and that's when Elena, Hugo, and Sofia found themselves face to face with...

"Shuriki? Fiero?" Elena gasped.

"We meet again, Shuriki," Sofia glared.

"Princess Sofia?" Shuriki gasped. "Come to save Avalor again?"

"As a matter of fact, yes, along with my boyfriend," Sofia glared.

"Not if I can help it," Shuriki smirked. "Inferno!"

A spell from Shuriki's scepter fired and knocked Elena into the water.

"Elena!" Sofia and Hugo gasped. They turned to face the evil sorceress.

"What's it going to be?" Shuriki asked.

Hugo pressed his Enchantlet and shouted, "Mermana!" He jumped up, turned into a merboy, and landed in the water.

"I wish I was a mermaid!" Sofia shouted. She jumped up, turned into a mermaid, and landed in the water.

Under the water, Sofia and Hugo swam after Elena, who sunk down to the bottom. Suddenly, Marisa showed up with a Caballo Marino.

"Sofia? Hugo? You're Sirenas?" Marisa gasped.

"No, we're just regular merfolk," Sofia shook her head.

"What happened to Elena?" Marisa asked.

"Shuriki happened—we have to get her up to the surface, but she's too big and heavy," Hugo declared.

Marisa put her ear to Elena's stomach. "She's barely breathing—we have to take her to the milagras," she said. She carried Elena in her arms with the younger royals swimming after her.

Marisa reached the magic kelp forest. "Take some kelp and wrap it only around her chest," she instructed.

Sofia and Hugo took as much kelp as they could and wrapped it around Elena's chest. Suddenly, Cuco and Marzel showed up.

"What's going on?" Marzel gasped. "Are you turning her into a Sirena?"

"No, if we only wrap her chest, maybe she'll breathe but not transform," Marisa hoped.

It had worked—Elena was breathing, and she found herself under the sea. "What happened?" she gasped.

"The milagra—it lets you breathe underwater," Marisa replied.

"What are you and the kids even doing here?" Marzel asked.

"We were attacked by Shuriki," Elena replied.

"Okay, but what about the kids?" Marzel asked.

"We have our own magic to turn ourselves into merfolk," Hugo replied.

"Did this Shuriki do that to you?" Cuco asked Sofia.

Sofia's mermaid top exposed her tummy and barely covered her bellybutton.

"That's awful," Marzel frowned. "Does it hurt?" He gently touched Sofia's bellybutton, and she started giggling. "What's so funny?"

"Stop tickling—that's my bellybutton!" Sofia cried out laughing.

"More like your giggle button—you start laughing whenever someone touches it," Cuco chuckled.

"That's because it tickles!" Sofia cried, still laughing. "Okay, please stop!"

Marzel finally stopped.

"You've been having a lot of tickles since we got here," Hugo chuckled.

"True, but there's no time for any more laughing—we have to do something," Sofia declared. She took off her amulet and gave it to Hugo. "Hugo, you go with Elena while I go and warn her family."

"Go on, Sofie," Hugo nodded, putting on the Amulet.

Sofia swam off while Hugo went with Elena, Marisa, Marzel, and Cuco to King Pescoro and Queen Camila.

"So, this is the young man you were talking about, but what about the young lady?" Pescoro asked.

"She went to warn Elena's family about Shuriki," Hugo declared. "We're going to need your help to stop her."

"How can we help?" Camila asked.

"What if you put the humans under your hypnotic singing?" Hugo suggested.

"That would be something," Marisa said. "Let's get a move on."

"Good idea," Elena nodded.

Marisa, Elena, and Hugo swam off.

Meanwhile, Isabel, Luisa, Francisco, and Esteban had gotten off their float.

"That was fun," Isabel beamed.

"But what happened to Elena?" Francisco asked.

"Well, there's the little princess," Esteban pointed out.

Sofia showed up. "Thank goodness I caught you," she said, barely breathing.

"What's going on?" Esteban asked. "Where are Elena and Hugo?"

Suddenly, there was a green cloud of smoke—and that's when Shuriki, Fiero, and the Delgados appeared.

"Shuriki?" Esteban gasped.

"That's right," Shuriki smirked.