chapter twelve

★☆

CHAPTER TWELVE; RIVERRUN

Rey felt a lot safer within the walls of Catelyn Stark's former home. Where the camp across the castle rivers was cold and dirty, the inside was cozy and filled with people far kinder than the Stark soldiers. 

"Thank you for your hospitality, Lady Catelyn," Rey bowed her head as she entered the former throne room, where Catelyn stood with an older man, whom she hadn't met yet. From the sigil on his clothing to the fading flecks of red hair in his beard, she assumed it was Catelyn's father, Hoster Tully. "And thank you, my lord. I am sorry to burden you."

"It is no burden at all, Lady Aurelia," Hoster smiled down at the woman as she approached. Catelyn held her hand out and lingered at Rey's elbow. Brienne stood guard beside the older woman, a softness to her face. "I will see to it personally that you are taken care of, and that you make it home to Dewacreage safely."

Rey smiled. She didn't know how genuine it seemed, but she tried her best. There had been a few people who had promised to get her home in one piece, and she wasn't there just yet. It was partly her fault, but that was besides the point. "I'm incredibly grateful."

Hoster waved his hand, and a young, tanned girl approached Rey with a beautiful headpiece. "A welcoming gift for you, my dear. This was Catelyn's when she was a young girl, but she never liked it all that much."

"Gods, I remember that thing," Catelyn chuckled, taking the piece of jewellery from the girl and holding it up to eye level. "It's beautiful, but not exactly for me."

It was a silver headband, one that was supposed to wrap around one's hair and hold it in place. Leaves with small insects climbed across the crown, creating a wreath of sorts that was crawling with life. Somehow, it seemed perfectly suited to Rey. 

She lowered her head and allowed Catelyn to place it on her head. It was a little tight, as Catelyn had a slightly slimmer shaped scalp, but it fit nonetheless. She looked up and met the Stark woman's blue eyes, feeling the same motherly comfort as she had before. Catelyn smiled, as if she were with one of her own daughters. "I think this was meant to be yours."

Rey felt tears welling up in her eyes, but she forced them down, instead choosing to give Catelyn a short embrace. It was unprofessional, but she felt it was necessary to show her gratitude to the woman who had given her so much over the last week. "Thank you."

Catelyn seemed to be getting slightly emotional as well, but both women pretended they were fine. Hoster stepped forward and placed his hand on Rey's shoulder. He nodded at the young girl behind them. "This is Keala Sand. A Dornish bastard. She found her way up here a few years ago, she was abandoned by her mother."

Rey looked over at the girl. Keala didn't seem too pleased with her introduction. "Hello, Keala. I'm Rey."

"She'll be your handmaiden during your stay," Hoster said, before clasping his hands in front of him. "Feel free to wander the castle, use the ravens, just don't get too greedy with our resources. There's an army on our doorstep."