2. Different worlds meet

Last autumn. September, 2017.

One thing that I have always dreamed of since I moved to the land of the free, was to never spend the weekends at home - even if that meant spending it at school with my friends for Saturday School Tutoring.

And here I was, late for the first time after 2 months. I never knew how to ride a public bus by myself; back to my homeland, no matter how old or mature I was, I was not allowed to get on one alone nor accompanied.

———-

Throughout the day, everyone was talking about some guy that transferred to school, and how funny he was. We were all back on the school bus to get dropped off at our stops, and I saw the infamous guy everyone was talking about. He seemed the type of guy that everybody knew about, and almost all of the people were acting as if they had known him for the longest. Such a warm welcoming with big smiles.

The ride back home in the bus was all laughter, messing around, and loud music - we sort of knew each other. Even though I was all caught up talking to my girl friends that were sitting in front of me, I noticed someone sitting down next to me. I looked to my right, and it was him.

"Hey, do you mind if I sit here?" He asked with a big smile. I nodded, and he put his bag on his lap. "I'm Eli, what's your name?"

"Alessandra. Nice to meet you." I smiled and stretched his hand.

Eli was a guy with a very unique look. Tall, brown hair, light skin, a trimmed beard, and glasses, and a funny voice with a cute accent. He was also very funny - no wonder people treated him like they do.

_____

We spent the whole ride talking and making jokes, and this made me ask him where was he from. He said he was from Venezuela, and, since I am from there, too, it was an instant "clic" to what seemed a blooming friendship.

My phone started ringing, and I answered. It was an unknown number, "Hello?" I asked.

"Hey, yeah, it's Eli. Just making sure I got the right number." He said with a nervous laugh. "It was very nice to meet you, though. See you in Monday, little one," he added, and then hung up.

He was 5'7", and I was 4'11". That was an unfair use of words against me.