5. Smiles over tears

Past time: Last autumn. October 31st, 2017.

As I was setting up everything for the reunion, I happened to have some friends sneak in some beers and cigarrettes. It was 10 p.m., and I couldn't be less excited in a Thursday night.

As a joke, the people that I invited over (and some that sneaked into my house) went trick or treating in my neighborhood with our childish costumes. We were almost going to cross the street, when I heard a familiar and funny voice some meters away from us.

The guys and I kept walking forward, and he was there, Eli - stunning as ever, funny as ever, and relaxed as always.

I couldn't help it but i went to where he was and huged him as if I hadn't seen him in years, very tight. He was surprised because I just wouldn't hug someone out of the blue, like I just did - we both knew that I wasn't like that.

"I didn't know today was your day, little one. Happy birthday," he said hugging me back.

~*~

As all of the people at my house were drinking all the beers from the little fridge, I let myself breathe - tranquil, and satisfied. So far, the best birthday.

I noticed the concerned face from Eli, and I approached him. "Is everything okay?"

Something on his face had changed. The big smile of someone who I have been admiring and taking care of, was affected for some reason that I didn't know of. My question seemed to shock him, and he just lifted an eyebrow, to answer with a small laugh, "Everything's good, why wouldn't it be?".

~*~

Halloween felt like the longest night out of the whole year. I was having fun, and felt good after a long time.

"I gotta talk to you," Elijah said, and I nodded. "My mom doesn't like it here, and I can't leave her alone. I'm moving back to my country by December." That fell on me like a bucket of iced water; for some reason, it hurt more than expected. I like him.

"Do you know the date?" I asked, with my heart pounding very fast. He shrugged his shoulders, and replied, "Right after my birthday".