Chapter 3

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Before I started writing this story, i had already decided to split Rukhsat and Hayat's Books.

I am not sure which chapter I am gonna split the book in but be prepared.

○○○○○ 

Hayat

Leaving our palace, our home, was not easy for either of us, but Rukhsat could cry, I couldn't. I had to put up a strong front. I had to protect my sister at any cost. I honestly didn't care what happened to me now, but if they mistreat her, I knew enough swordplay to take down 2 men in one go.

In less than an hour, we would reach their tents, and our fate would come face to face with us. It wasn't uncommon for a king to demand a Shehzadi as part of a treaty. It was generally done just to ensure that the treaty was not broken by either of the parties, but what I didn't understand was why did they even need to sign the treaty in the first place? They could easily take us down and own what we have. We might be a small riayat, but we were certainly prosperous because our land was really good for agriculture, and we also had some gold mines. I certainly wanted to know the reason.

When we reached near their tent, their soldiers let us through the lanes of temporary tents. We stopped at a large orange tent.

"Rukhsat, you stay inside and don't come out till I call you. Okay?"

"No Baji, I won't let you face these monsters alone. I am going to come with you no matter what you say. Okay?" she said in the same tone as I did. This girl cannot leave humor behind.

"Fine. Stay behind me, and please keep your mouth and attitude in check, Choti. I don't want us to cause any troubles for Abu," I agreed, knowing that there is no point in arguing with her right now. I have to conserve my energy. 

Our enemy awaits.

We both put on our dupattas and wrapped them appropriately around our heads. They were non-mehrams. For now.I entered the tent with Rukh just slightly behind me.

I saw 5 men in total. Two of the most rugged but handsome men I had ever seen were sitting in front of me. One of them had a slight boyish charm, and the other one knocked me out of breath for a second. This man was made for combat. He was easily well over 6ft tall. I could tell this even though he was still sitting. He looked like a huge person.

As soon as our eyes locked, he looked at my face with an emotion that was too intense for me to understand. With the way he was looking at me, I felt like he could look into my soul.Before I could fathom what was happening, he was standing in front of me. Closer than I had expected him to be.

The other man, whom I assumed is his brother, stood up as well. I looked down with embarrassment because of the proximity and said, "Assalamu Alaikum, I am Hayat Bin Qadri, and this is," gesturing towards Choti, I continued, "Rukshat Bin Qadri. We are the Daughters of the King of Chandgarh, Muhammad Zaid Bin Qadri. Our father has agreed to meet with all 3 of your conditions, and we come here to you for the same."

He seemed disinterested in whatever I was saying because he knew exactly who I was, and he knew why I was here. While I was speaking, he just kept looking at me.

When his brother cleared his throat, it was like he was broken out of a trance-like state."As you might know, I am The Maharaja of the Surya Kingdom, Angad Singh Rajput, and this is my younger brother, Arjun Singh Rajput," he said with a formal tone.

I had heard rumors that the king of Suryagarh was fairly young and very good-looking, but I had certainly not expected a man like him.

"I assume that your father has already sent the treaty signed from his side, and only my signatures are left? So we should finish this as soon as possible."

I took the treaty from my handmaiden and gave it to him. As soon as I outstretched my hand, he took the treaty from me but brushed his fingers against mine. I jerked my hand back, and he was quick to notice that. 

Rage filled his eyes as he quickly grabbed the hand I had jerked away and held it roughly. His hands were very calloused, as would be expected from a man who was a warrior and a King.

I looked at him with wide eyes, with a questioning but worried look.He said in a gruff voice, "You do not get to deprive me of what is mine."

I snatched my hand back and backed away.

"Touching a non-mehram is a sin in my religion," I stated firmly and looked at him with an unspoken challenge in my eyes.

His eyes were still locked with mine while he extended his arm, and a pen was placed in his hand immediately. He signed the treaty all the while I felt like his eyes never left mine. The treaty was finally signed, and with it, our fate was also sealed.

As soon as he put the treaty down, he asked one of his generals to prepare their army to leave early tomorrow morning, as the sun had already set now.

He looked at his other general and asked him to prepare tents for us. Yes, you heard it right. He was going to make me stay away from Rukh, as if this whole situation wasn't a torment enough. I wanted to protest but decided against it. Rukh was visibly shaking with anger as the prince kept on looking at her with what can be assumed to be a not-so-subtle and appropriate way of looking at a woman who wasn't your wife. Yet.

We stepped out of their tent, and I glanced at Maharaja Angad one last time before being escorted to my tent.

I entered my tent to find it pleasantly set up for a woman. I would make sure to be thankful tomorrow morning for this arrangement. The entire day had been very exhausting, and I felt like I would pass out the moment I touched the bed.

Before sleeping, I kept thinking about my father, Karim, and my entire kingdom. I hoped I made the right decision for them. The weight of the kingdom's future rested heavily on my shoulders. With a heavy heart, I eventually drifted into a troubled sleep, uncertain of what the future would hold for us.