Chapter 6

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

When I stepped past the threshold of my house grandma already started cooking dinner. The aroma of baked chicken filled my nostrils, I almost drooled in my spot.
I put my keys on the key holder and headed for the kitchen, " It smells delicious mama. " I said planting a kiss on her cheek.

Grandma is a short lady, with big blue eyes that looked like they held great knowledge, an oval-shaped face that gives her a feminine appearance, perfectly arched eyebrows, a petite frame wearing a floral dress, and a golden necklace with a crescent moon and blue socks.

I walked over to the pantry and take out the spare apron went to cut up the vegetables she already took out.

" How was the meeting dear? " She inquired while spreading the sauce over the chicken and putting it in the oven to bake.

"It was awful mama all those males in one room were suffocating and then there was all the arrogance and them having this stupid game of trying to be the most dominant in the room," I said laughing.

Mama just scuffed and sighed plotting down on one of the stools around the island.

"When will those boys learn, that my grandbaby isn't gonna take their crap. " she said laughing making her laugh lines to make an appearance.

I hummed in response and went to check on the chicken.

"Being a strong woman intimidates males, giving them the sense they don't have control over a situation, but being a female leader drives them up the damn wall. " Rita said smile looking at nothing in particular.

"As your father would have said 'the only way to make outsider fear you is to be the monster they have never seen' there are only two ways to tell a tale honey it's either false or true," she said with a smile on her face.

"I know it t-" I didn't even get to finish my sentence because the doorbell interrupted me.

"I'll get it. " I said getting off the stool. 

This better be good, it's the second time since this week that people have been interrupting me when I start to speak.
As I approached the door the smell of coffee and Strawberries filled my nostrils, I open the door to see none other than Kaleb standing there smiling like he came to fill his stomach.

He's dressed in a black hoodie, sweat pant, and black and red jordans.

" Can I help you? " I asked sarcastically with a raised eyebrow.

"I just came to check up on Luna Rita. "  He said almost drooling.
I narrowed my eyes at my beta as footsteps approach the door from behind me.

" Child let him pass before you make him piss his pants. " Grandma said pulling me aside so Kaleb could come inside.

"But he just came here to fill his gut as he always does every Thursday night. " I said pouting at my grandma.

"Oh grow up Vanessa there is enough food for everybody. " she replied after she smacked me on my arm.

Kaleb turned to me and stuck out his tongue, and laugh but his victory was short-lived, grandma pulled his ears.

I smirked at him and walked back to the kitchen to check on the chicken and make some mashed potatoes.

Kaleb plotted down on the stool around the island and start munching on an apple.
I've known Kaleb since I was five, he's like one of two only friends I have besides grandma.

30 minutes later
~~~~~~~~~

After dinner grandma said good night and went upstairs to rest. I was currently washing the dishes and Kaleb is watching Lucifer on the TV in the living room.

Washing the last dish I joined him on the sofa.
"It's been a long time since we've been in the same room just watching a movie." he said laughing.

He was right about it, it was either I declined or we had too much pack business to take care of.

There was a rapid banging on the front door, which made Kaleb and I jumped out of our spots and race to the door.

When we opened the door one of our pack members' standing there looking behind her as if she's paranoid, she looked terrified.

" What's wrong Mary? " I asked looking at her in alarm.

" So-someone k-killed my husband. " She said in agony and fell to her knees.
I bent down and brought her into my arms and spoke soothing words into her ears.

" Well find who did it that's a promise. " Kaleb said in a serious voice.

Grandma can you come down and look after Mary "  I mind-linked her and walked Mary into the house, leaving her in the living room as grandma walked down the stairs.

I was speechless, I can't believe it.
One of my pack members was murdered under my fricking nose.

"Don't beat yourself up Vanessa you wouldn't have known something like this was going to happen" Kaleb said resurging to me as we walked to Mary's house.

"I wish I felt that way but I don't am responsible for them Kaleb, I feel useless that I can't even protect my people. " I said with frustration and griping my hair.

Her husband was one of the best warriors we had, it could only happen if he had known the killer and he let his guard down.

When we arrived at the house the stench of blood wafted from inside the house, everything on the outside of the house looked normal no signs of struggle or forced entry.
When we passed the threshold of the house there was blood all over the walls of the living and dining room.
As we walk closer the body of Richard was lying on the ground with his head detached from his neck. There were multiple claw marks running from his left bicep to his right bone, claw marks ran in the same order on his back as well. There were bruises on his face and wrists.

A  ferocious growl erupted from my throat, my wolf was forcing herself to come to the surface to claim the head of a traitor.

"I want his head, no one hurt my pack and get away with it" My wolf and I's voice boomed throughout the house.