The Boiler Room

Hey, look! A Fitzsimmon story!! I needed to write this since I've sort of become obsessed with Agents of SHIELD! CX

Hopefully my first one-shot isn't too bad! :P

*****

It was a typical day at the Academy. Fitz had just got back from his engineering class, and was walking down the crowded white hallways towards his dorm room. He was a bit exhausted, his mind swarming with ideas for new inventions and projects for class, which was something that he thought about almost every single day. But his thoughts were cut off when he felt something vibrate in his jean pocket. He slipped out his small grey flip phone and checked the text message. It was from Jemma- which was no surprise to him at all, considering that Jemma was the only contact in his phone besides his parents. It said something about her hanging out at the Boiler Room, a place that the two of them would go to sometimes when their piles and piles of homework were stressing them out too much, which normally didn't happen because Simmons loves homework. But from time to time even homework was too much for the two science-loving geniuses.

Fitz didn't even really think about it, and before he knew it he had turned completely around and was making his way to the Boiler Room. For some reason, Simmons text fueled the fire in his heart that made him want to see her even more than before. The two had known each other for a long time now, and they actually started out as enemies. They hated each other, always trying to prove that one was smarter than the other. But soon enough, a beautiful friendship blossomed between the two. But for some reason, just the simple thought of Jemma made Leo's heart skip a beat.

He snapped back to real life once he noticed that the Boiler Room door was right in front of him. He placed his hand on the knob, checked to see if anyone was watching him, and walked inside. He tiptoed past the rows of rusty old boiler machines, passing the doorway and down the stairs, and there everything was. The giant room full of academy students, just chilling and having a blast with other friends as the music played in the background and multi-colored lights flashed around the room. But only one person caught his eye. One specific brown haired girl wearing a polka-dotted blouse and skinny jeans; Jemma Simmons. She had her hair tied up into a ponytail, like she always did, and was poking a blob of yellow Jell-O on a plate with her fork. Fitz wondered if he should go down there and talk to her, but it was too late because some other tall bearded guy had already occupied the spot he was going to take. His stomach burned at the sight of this man talking to his Simmons, and expected Jemma to shoo him away or something. But instead she was smiling and laughing. This angered Fitz more than it should have. Quietly and carefully, Fitz stalked towards them like a dangerous lion in the wild eyeing its prey. Once Fitz was close enough to the two, he could hear their conversation.

"You going to eat that?" The strange man said in a husky deep voice.

Jemma shrugged and looked back at her Jell-O. "Probably." She answered and smiled at him politely. The sight of her smile made Fitz's heart flutter.

"You here with anyone?" The man smirked.

"Well-"

"Hey there Jemma!" Fitz piped in and rested a hand on her shoulder. Jemma raised her eyebrow, and glanced warily at the other man.

"Oh... Um... James, this is Fitz. He's a friend of mine." She explained and gestured her hand towards a wide-eyed smiling Fitz. Obviously his smile was fake, and his eye was twitching ever so slightly as James gave him a look.

"Hi." James said with a skeptical voice and extended his hand out to shake Fitz's. Fitz hesitantly placed his hand in James's hand, and they shook slowly as they both stared at each other with narrowed eyes. Jemma pursed her lips into a thin line as she watched the other two men stare each other to the death. She cleared her throat, which snapped the two out of their trance.