THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FIXING MENTAL HEALTH

Ok I try to keep the topics in this book light, just friendly not too deep, non-political topics but sometimes... Sometimes... I see something that pisses me off and I have to say something.

So I'm going about my busy on youtube and I saw this comment that basically went (I'll paraphrase): Therapy is overrated, how can a therapist fix you when you can't fix yourself?

You. Cannot. Fix. Mental. Health.

My problem is the word "fix".  Maybe I'm being really sensitive but "fix" usually means that you are expecting clear-cut results. For examples: you fix a sink and now it works. you broke your arm and after seeing the doctor, you're all fixed up. Your house got destroyed during a hurricane but you got everything fixed up. Fixed usually means there is a process in which is guaranteed to make the thing that is "broken" whole again.

My problem with this, is that mental health is not like a broken bone, you can't fix it. You can treat it and you can learn to cope with it but you can't "fix" it. Therapy, medication, and other things can help people with mental health issues deal with life and their symptoms but it won't fix them as if these things can just make the person "normal".

It's bullshit, like so many people suffer with mental health issues including myself and stuff like this just shows me that some people still don't understand.