Chapter 1

Ariana

Being two completely different people can be a real pain sometimes. I'm not pretending to be someone else, but there's this split between who I am at school and who I am at home.

This year marks my Junior year. I'm lying in bed, wide awake since 4 in the morning, pondering the same questions I ask myself every day.

Why have I kept up this charade for three years?

Well, it's become something I've grown accustomed to.

Back in middle school, I was the shy girl with braces and quirky bangs, hanging out with two wonderful friends who stuck with me even though I wasn't as popular as they were.

High school changed everything during my freshman year. Jealousy hit me hard when my two closest friends suddenly became popular, while I remained an outsider.

So, I decided to change. Despite my dad's wealth and influence as a businessman, it didn't automatically make me popular. I used that advantage and transformed myself.

I became the head cheerleader, the fashionable and popular girl with the latest red Lamborghini. I even dated hot football players and rich guys, all for the past two years.

Despite having this image and reputation, I drop the act when I'm home. It's the only place where I can be goofy and nerdy Ari, shedding the mean girl persona.

It's exhausting, but the attention and popularity make it worthwhile, even though I hate hearing hurtful labels like "school's slut" or "attention seeker."

My alarm blares, interrupting my thoughts. I sigh and hit snooze, sitting up on my queen-sized bed, looking around my room.

Time to get ready for school.

I slowly head to the bathroom for my morning routine. I pull out my cheerleading outfit from the closet and set it aside on my bed.

Still, in my fluffy bathroom robe, I apply my makeup. Despite my lack of expertise, I manage to create a confident and popular look.

After the makeup, I work on my hair, styling it in a cheerleader-approved way. Once done, I check out my navy blue cheerleading outfit with the silver 'S' on the front, along with the matching short skirt.

Being the head cheerleader involves a lot, and this year I need to recruit new members since the seniors moved on to college.

I put on the outfit and grab my school bag and iPhone, leaving my room and heading downstairs for breakfast.

Dad's at the dining table, focused on his laptop. Business is always on his mind. I sit down, and the maid pours me coffee.

"Morning, Daddy," I greet, and he looks up with a smile.

"Morning, sweetheart. Ready for junior year?" he asks.

Dad's fine with the changes I've made. He adapted to my double life, even though he encouraged me to be myself at school.

Easier said than done.

"Just another day at school, Dad. Same old routine," I reply, munching on toast.

He nods and returns to his laptop. I love him even though it's just the two of us since Mom left due to her desire for luxury. Dad struggled initially but became successful after she left, now one of Miami's wealthiest.

Karma, indeed.

Done with my minimal breakfast (thanks to cheerleader rules), I say a quick goodbye and head outside. The butler has my car ready.

I get in, throw my bag on the passenger seat, and drive to Sterling High School.

The school is famous for its drama, bad boys, hot football players, and cheerleaders.

I blast Chris Brown's "No Guidance" on the radio, smiling in satisfaction. I met Chris at Coachella last year and it was a highlight.

With the music blaring, I park in my reserved spot. A silver Ferrari and a black Mercedes are already there. My best friends, Joanna and Shay, arrive right after me.

We embrace in a tight hug, even though we've been hanging out all summer.

"Long time no see!" Joanna exclaims, and I playfully roll my eyes.

"Jo, we were together last weekend."

"I know, but drama sounds better," she laughs. We head towards school, dressed in our cheerleading outfits.

Joanna and Shay have been friends since first grade. Joanna's Puerto Rican with brown hair and grey eyes, dramatic and fun. Shay's Peruvian, with light skin, long brown hair, and hazel eyes. She's gentle and sweet.

As for me, my dad's half Italian, and my mom's American. We're all on the same page when it comes to dating – no strings attached.

Shay and I noticed Joanna's interest in Josh Park, a hot football player and singer in the school band. We haven't hooked up because of Joanna's feelings for him.

I reach my locker, drawing envious looks from girls and attention from guys. Grabbing my books for English lit, I head to class.

Maybe this Junior year I can show my real self. It's a long shot, but maybe letting a few things slip out won't be a big deal.

***