Chapter 12

Ariana

"Ariana," a voice called out from in front of me, causing me to freeze.

I recognized that voice instantly, and it belonged to the last person I expected to find here right now.

Sniffing, I looked up and quickly brushed away my tears with the back of my hand.

"What are you doing here?" I managed to say aloud, my voice shaky. He stared back at me with an expressionless face.

"I live nearby. What about you?"

I wasn't about to answer that question. Instead, I stood up and averted my gaze to avoid those piercing eyes of his.

"I need to leave," I said abruptly, attempting to walk past him, but he caught my arm, preventing me from going any farther.

His touch sent a jolt of electricity through me, causing me to stop in my tracks.

"You didn't answer my question," he said firmly, his gaze unwavering. Annoyance surged within me.

"Why should I? Why do you even care? After rejecting me in front of everyone at school, you're the last person I expected to find me like this."

He continued staring at me, his grip on my arm tightening slightly before I managed to pull away.

"I know. But I saw you here, and I can't just walk away when I know you're not okay. Ignoring people in need isn't my style. And trust me, you're also the last person I thought I'd run into right now."

His voice remained steady and serious, and I crossed my arms in front of me.

"Well, I'm leaving," I retorted, ready to get away from this situation.

"Sure, but you're not going alone. Especially dressed like that, it's not safe. I'll take you home."

His offer caught me off guard, and I barely had time to process it before he was leading me away from the park, his hand tightly holding mine, sending more sparks through my skin.

"Why are you doing this? Don't you have better things to do than help me?"

He didn't respond verbally, but he let go of my hand. I tried to hide my disappointment; I had started to enjoy his touch.

He glanced back at me and motioned for me to follow him. Sighing, I reluctantly walked behind him.

Unfamiliar houses and streetlights lit up the area, and I realized I had no idea where I was.

"Are you going to tell me why you were at the park earlier?" Tristan suddenly asked, causing me to stop walking.

I couldn't bring myself to tell him. I barely knew him, and although I sensed he could see through my façade, I couldn't risk revealing my secret.

"I can't go home," I mumbled, not meeting his gaze.

"Why not?"

"I just can't, okay? So drop it."

"Then where are you planning to go?" His voice was sharp, and my eyes started to burn.

"I don't know," I mumbled to myself, doubting he even heard me.

A breeze brushed by, and I rubbed my arms to ward off the chill. He noticed and, unexpectedly, took off his blue and silver jacket, the school logo on the back, and draped it over my shoulders.

To any passerby, it might look like a cute couple moment, a football player giving his cheerleader girlfriend his jacket. But such a scenario felt light-years away.

"Sit," he instructed, perching on the edge of the sidewalk. Uncertain, I settled beside him, making sure there was a significant gap between us.

I didn't want to add more awkwardness to the day. Earlier, he'd rejected me when I asked him out.

"So, you won't tell me what happened in the park, and you don't want to go home. What's your plan, then?" Tristan's side glance met my gaze, and I looked down at my clasped hands.

"Nothing."

Clearly, there was nothing and no place for me to go. I didn't want to face my parents, and burdening my friends Shay and Jo wasn't an option. This was my problem, and I intended to solve it myself.

Tristan was the only one with me right now.

"You're so confusing, you know. At school, you looked so happy, like everything was perfect. But here you are, having cried your eyes out and nowhere to go. What's your deal anyway?"

I stared at him, surprised that he had paid attention. I couldn't answer. One more step, and he'd likely uncover my truth, and I couldn't afford that. But I also had no energy left to keep up the façade.

"And I'm supposed to tell you because....? I am way more confused that you're even talking to me right now. You rejected me on going out on a date and don't even wanna be friends with me. So, why stick around now? You could have just walked away when you found me at the park."

He pursed his lips, his gaze on me before he averted his eyes elsewhere.

"Do you want to know why I turned you down in the cafeteria today?" My heart skipped a beat.

Did I really want to know? What if he confirmed he didn't like me in that way? That would be worse than just being rejected; I had already accepted I liked him.

"It's because I can't figure you out. You reveal only what you want people to see, and that's not much. Why is that?"

I couldn't tell him. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't. I still couldn't trust him with my secret. The risk was too great.

I stood, facing him. "I need a place to stay. I can't go home, and I don't want to burden my friends. If you're willing to help, I'd be grateful, but if not..." I took off his jacket and handed it back. Turning away, I began walking.

"Aren't you even going to wait for my answer?" he called out, and I halted in my tracks.

Turning back to him, I met his gaze. He smirked, gesturing behind him.

"My house is this way." Holding back a smile, I followed him to a sizable home, almost a mansion, with imposing iron gates and security cameras.

He keyed in a code, and the gates swung open, revealing a driveway. He held the door for me, and I stepped inside, taking in the stylish décor.

"My room's upstairs. I'll find you something to change into, and you can use my room for the night. I'll drop you off early tomorrow," he said, matter-of-factly.

"Thank you," I murmured, and he shrugged it off, leading me up a staircase.

"Where's your brother Josh and your parents?" I inquired, noting the silence.

"Josh is out with Joanna. My parents are away." He replied, and I mentally slapped myself for forgetting Joanna's plans with Josh.

We reached a hallway, and he opened the first door on the right.

"Make yourself at home. The bathroom's there. I'll bring you some clothes. Freshen up."

With that, he left the room, and I looked around. The room was neat, with shades of grey and black dominating the décor.

Tristan returned with a bundle of clothes, a large white t-shirt, and boxers.

"The T-shirt is mine, and the boxers are from my mom's untouched closet. I borrowed them for you. I'll be back to get you once I order something for us to eat."

With that, he turned and left, shutting the door behind him.

I wasn't sure what had sparked his newfound kindness, but I appreciated him showing this side of himself today.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone. Sorry again for this little slip-up. Just wanted to clarify that chapter 13 is right at the top—easy to miss with the character chapter right before it. So no need to plan my funeral over this annoying mistake!

Love you all ♥