Chapter 20

Tristan

"Joanna and I are planning to hang out after school today, you wanna join?" I chuckled at Josh's suggestion.

No way.

"And be the third wheel for you two? Thanks, but no."

"It's not just us though. Shay, Jacob, and Ariana are coming too."

I stopped in my tracks, facing Josh. Yesterday's conversation with Ariana didn't go as expected, and it still gets under my skin when I think about what she said.

I had to push myself to talk to her after practice, and when she opened up about her acting, I felt like she trusted me with her secret, knowing how much it meant to her.

But it's clear she's been second-guessing my intentions, thinking I'd go around telling everyone, which is the last thing I'd ever do.

"What?" I shrugged and continued walking down the hallway until I reached my locker.

"I won't be going." Josh let out an audible sigh, leaning against the locker next to mine, studying my expression.

"Is this about Ariana tagging along?" I brushed off his question, organizing my books in my bag.

"Come on, Tristan, I thought you two were getting closer?" I shot him a narrowed glance.

"We're not there, Josh. I hoped we could be friends or something, but it's clear we're not on the same page."

"Sure thing. But don't deny it now, you're starting to like her. I mean, who wouldn't? You must've seen something intriguing and felt a connection, that's why you're curious about her."

I shook my head, slamming my locker shut. Whatever was between Ariana and me is gone, back to square one because she doesn't even trust me enough to be her friend.

I turned around and nearly collided with Jenny, who was approaching from behind.

"Hey there." I smiled, Ariana momentarily fading from my thoughts.

Well, mostly. I need to get her out of my mind.

"I had a great time last night," Jenny said, referring to our recent date.

"Me too," I started to say, but my gaze caught Ariana walking down the hall with her friends, Jacob beside her.

The crowd seemed to part, giving her group a clear path, like she's some queen commanding attention and respect. She's probably reveling in the attention. Suddenly, all my previous thoughts about her resurfaced.

Damn it. Now what?

I refocused on Jenny, who was giving me a questioning look, waiting for me to finish my sentence.

Then it hit me—Jenny's presence managed to divert my mind from Ariana.

Screw it.

"You know what? I'm glad you feel that way." I leaned in and kissed her.

Dramatic gasps and whispers echoed in the hallway. I ended the kiss, a hint of regret washing over me.

It's not that I regret kissing Jenny—I wanted to.

It's the look in Ariana's eyes when I glanced up and saw her staring, her friends attempting to distract her.

She looked hurt and puzzled.

Then she turned and quickly walked away. I felt the impulse to chase after her, to explain that the kiss meant nothing. But why bother?

I did it to get her out of my head.