Chapter 28

Tristan

The surprise was plastered all over everyone's faces as they watched Ariana walk away.

Questions buzzed around the room, people looking puzzled, asking each other what on earth was happening and why Ariana had refused to accept the homecoming queen crown and left like that.

Mr. Wallas shot me a confused look, and I swiftly removed the crown from my head and handed it back to him.

"I'll be back in a sec." I dashed off the stage, now with everyone's eyes on me, as I chased after her outside.

I halted at the exit, scanning the area, hoping to catch sight of her.

She's probably upset with me now, and I still don't know why.

Yesterday, after the game, I saw her leave when she caught me hugging Jenny. I saw the expression in her eyes as she looked at me – a mix of confusion and hurt.

Perhaps she's confused about Jenny wearing my jersey, but the truth is I gave it to her to make up for a mistake I made a few days ago.

I didn't want to ruin my friendship with Jenny because she's the only one who reminds me of home in the Philippines, a close friend so far. So, I gave her my jersey so she could come to the game, even though she wasn't planning to.

I let out a heavy sigh, glancing around one more time, and then I saw her. She was heading toward the parking lot, holding up the edge of her dress to keep from stepping on it.

I sprinted toward her with all my energy. Finally reaching her, I gently pulled her arm, causing her to turn around to face me.

Surprise flickered across her face, then annoyance as she withdrew her arm.

"Why are you here?" Her voice was soft, and I realized she wasn't snapping or angry. Why?

"I followed you. Your crown is still waiting, you know," I remarked, and she scoffed, stepping back slightly.

"Fuck the crown. I couldn't care less about it." I inhaled sharply, studying her intently.

"So, you were being real back there? No acting or anything?" Her gaze briefly dropped to the ground before returning to meet mine.

"Thought you'd never notice," she said, folding her arms.

"Why?"

"Forget it. I'm not having this conversation with you right now. I'm going home."

She turned to leave, but I reached out and grasped her hand, preventing her from getting away this time. She looked at my hand on hers, then up at me. I stepped closer.

"Yes, Ariana, we're having this talk now. Why are you avoiding me?" She took a moment before responding.

"You still don't get it, do you? I was so stupid to talk to you on the first day of school. I regretted it. I thought you were just like the others, falling for my tricks and all the seductive moves and hints I put out just to get your damn attention. But then you kept showing up when my guard was down, when I was vulnerable. And now that you know everything about me, I can't bear the thought of being away from you because you know too much already."

She paused for a minute, taking a breath, tears welling up in her eyes.

"But even after all that, I found time to figure things out on my own. I knew from that moment that I actually liked you. But you kept pushing me away, you keep confusing me, and doing things that made me question if I could trust you. I wondered if I had to stay close to you just to ensure you'd protect my secret. So how could you possibly like me when all you knew was the fake version I made up?"