No Longer Human | Osamu Dazai

PLOT

No Longer Human is told in the form of notebooks left by one Ōba Yōzō (大庭葉蔵), a troubled man incapable of revealing his true to others, and who, instead, maintains a facade of hollow jocularity. The work is made up of three chapters, or "memoranda", which chronicle the life of Ōba from his early childhood to his late twenties.

ES

Don't you think that human life is difficult? Once you doubt something you're accustomed to... Things get overly complicated. Like eating when you're hungry... Sleeping at night, and waking up in the morning... Going to school and work; connecting with society... The more I think... The less I seem to know. It becomes difficult to take even one breath. That's why I enjoyed ​No Longer Human​.

No Longer Human​ is a novella by Osamu Dazai. The main character Yozo could be considered a good-for-nothing. However, I think that he simply didn't understand, either. Failing to fulfill the basic requirements of being human... He tries to keep up appearances while also playing the fool. Having questioned what it meant to be human... He committed a crime and then decided that... He was no longer human. He decided that for himself.

You should read it if you haven't yet. I'm quite convinced you'll enjoy it.