7

"Suprise!"

Traci and Leo run up to me and hug me. "Welcome home honey." I hug Traci super tight as I look around the room to see my family and friends. I look over at Sam who is getting a beer out of the fridge and Talking to Jerry. I see my dad and wander over. "Dad hi" I give him a big hug. Sitting on the couch behind him, I see a woman.

"Amy, right?" She stands up and goes in for a hug. I am a little shocked as I hug back awkwardly.

"Andy, Hi! It's nice to finally meet you. I have heard so many amazing things about you. How, are you feeling?"

"I am great and healing up nicely. Very eager to go back to work. It's also very nice to be back home." I hear the fridge open and turn to look. Sam is getting another beer out of the fridge.

"If you could excuse me." I hop away and go to the kitchen, where Sam is standing. I take the beer out of his hands and bring it to my mouth. I take a sip and it gets pulled from my mouth.

"Listen, missy, this is mine."

I give him sad puppy dog eyes and reach for it. Sam sticks his arm out so I can't reach the bottle. I keep pushing for it. All of a sudden the bottle is out of Sam's hand. Oliver grabs it out of his hands and gives it to me. I smile and take a sip. "Brotha, a bacon hog, and a beer stealer. You not working is turning you into a low life. Anyway, when are you guys coming back to work, it's so quiet without you two."

"Sarg says we have to take a few days. Both of us were cleared for light duties. I should be back by Monday." I look up at Sam. He hasn't picked up a shift yet, but I am hoping he comes back Monday also, so I don't have to brave the day alone.

*****

There are only a few people left in the apartment. Leo and Traci just left. I shut the door and exhale. We are finally alone. I put my beer down on the counter. Sam is sitting on the island stool. I take a step closer. He grabs my hips and pulls me to his leg. I lean against the island and take a deep breath. I am so exhausted, I just want to get in bed and spoon until the end of time.

I strip out of my clothes. I put boxers and a tank top on. I hop into the bed. The sheets are clean and cold. I hop under the covers and move my legs all around. I flip the pillows so they are fluffy. Sam comes out of the bathroom. I look over at him and pat next to me in the bed. He hops on the bed and gets under the covers. H goes in to kiss me but I put my hand on his chin. I wipe the toothpaste off with my thumb, not moving my hand. Then I move his head closer and plant my lips on his. His lips are minty fresh and he smells like his coconut aftershave. He pulls me closer not taking his lips on mine

. *****

Sometime in the middle of the night. I wake up because I am hot. I am sweating and am all wrapped up in Sam. He has a death grip around my waist and is sleeping peacefully. I need to get up and splash water on my face or something but I don't want to wake him. I suck it up and hunker down under his arms. He stirs and groans. I quietly shush him and move closer. I close my eyes and can feel his heavy breathing on my face.

******

I wake up sometime mid-morning. The smell of pizza and beer lingers in the air from last night. I am a little sore. I get out of bed and put my boxers that are thrown across the room back on. I see Sam's shirt by the back of the door. I slip it on and open the bedroom door. Sam is heating something in the microwave. His back is facing me and I slip my arms around him from behind. He turns around and kisses me.