The way out

Woah. I've update five chapters in three days. Thanks again for all the views, positive comments and votes! It really makes my day.

Ben's POV

We crossed the rooms and wandered down the hall, searching for any door that would lead outside.

"Over there," Erica suddenly said.  I turned that way, and there was a sliding door. Sure enough, there was a hot tub outside.

"Piper wasn't lying," I whispered, walking over to the sliding door. Erica shifted and I let her down gently. She resumed hobbling on one foot as we approached the sliding door.

"Hold on," I said. "Won't there be any booby traps?"

"I doubt it," she replied, reaching for the handle. "I mean, they think we're locked up and Piper's on their side."

She pulled it open and the cold evening breeze rustled her hair, sending some of it flying in my face. Her hair was silky and soft. I closed my eyes for a brief moment.

We stepped outside and closed the sliding door behind us. There was a staircase attached to the side of the house, leading to a small platform where another sliding door led into the house.

"Can you...make it up?" I asked slowly. She shrugged.

"Hopefully?" she responded, reddening around the ears. I felt my own cheeks go hot.

I looked at her, and she gave a slight nod before placing her hand on my shoulder.

Then I literally swept her off her feet. she gave a startled yelp of surprise, then blushed. "Ben, I thought I was going to walk! You should tell me before you pull a stunt like that."

I blushed. "Alright, let's go." I carried her up the stairs and then slowly set her down.

I pushed the sliding door open, and we stepped in. That's when I heard the gunshot.

It was pretty loud, which meant that the shot was coming from inside. I reacted by giving a startling yelp, which knocked Erica off balance. she crashed to the floor. She groaned as I helped her up.

"A gunshot?" she asked. "Something's wrong here."

She resumed hopping on one foot. We walked through the hall. "Strange," I observed. "There are no guards."

The hallway was completely empty, which was peculiar. "Where are we?" I asked. "I don't remember this part of the hall."

"Don't ask me," she said. "I just got here after being locked up by a bunch of psychos."

"That's the library," I said, pointing to the double doors in the distance.

Another gunshot rang out.

"That's coming from the opposite direction," Erica observed. "We have to go that way. Quick."

I couldn't leave Erica alone, so I scooped her up in my arms one more time, then ran. I ran down the hallway, then let her down at the end of the hall. We both peeked around the corner.

What came next shocked me.

There was a full-blown fight going on. Catherine was locked in a fight with Queen Skye, who dressed like a standard Erica: Black jumpsuit and hair up. Jamie was tackling Mr. E while Mike, Zoe and Cynthia were knocking guards unconscious.

Piper was nowhere in sight.

"More agents are coming," Erica announced. "They can't handle it alone."

"Are you suggesting we go out there?" I whispered.

She nodded. "Yes."

"Are you crazy?" I asked. "Heck no. Your foot."

"No. I don't care about my foot. I'll be fine. We need to help them." Erica slipped around and pressing herself to the wall, she inched closer and closer to the fight scene.

With no choice, I had to follow.

No had had noticed us-yet. We crept closer and closer, trying to find a good time to tackle guards. Which was exactly when things went wrong.

First, a guard pounced on me. I groaned, crashing to the floor. As I recovered, though, he went straight for Erica. I crashed into him, knocking him off-balance. he slammed into Catherine, who spun around. Her eyes widened in surprise.

"Benjamin! Erica! Oh thank goodness you're okay. I would be more than happy to hug you both if I wasn't tackling this woman," she said, then returned to duck from the Queen's punch.

"Behind you," Erica said calmly, and I spun around, ducking just in time to avoid a blow to the head. I socked the guard in the stomach, sending him doubling over.

I turned back around to see Erica punch one man's jaw, making him see stars.

"I'd love to kick this guy in the face, but I only have one properly working leg," she grumbled.

"Not for long," I said, and grabbed her waist, lifting her up. Using her good leg, she nailed the guard in the face.

"Ha. Nailed it," she said with a smirk of satisfaction before turning to me. "Thanks."

I let her down and smiled. "No problem."

"Could you two lend us a hand?" Jamie yelled. "I get that you're bonding, but we're almost dying here!"

"Right." I stood with my back to Erica, and tripped one guard, then kicked another guy in the back of the knees.

Then everything happened so fast, I couldn't make it out. I took me a while to process what was happening. It started with the bullet in Jamie's shoulder.

He screamed in pain, then fired his gun.

I didn't have time to react or see what or who he had shot, because my attention was on the next gunshot. And the cry of pain I never ever want to hear in my life ever again.

I spun around. Queen Skye's gun was aimed at Erica, and Catherine was gaping in surprise. Erica screamed, then slowly crashed to the floor. Blood leaked out of her abdomen.

The next gunshot rang so loud I thought I went deaf.

Then I felt the impact, the pain, the blood, the breathlessness. I'm shot. In the...chest.

The world went black.

Completely black.

Hey, everyone! It's officially Sunday! That means after this update, I'll only be able to update on Friday. Yeah, online school's the worst. But I'll be typing up everything, which is maybe the last chapter, or the one after that, if I can split it, and then the epilogue.

See you all in the next chapter! Have an amazing day!!!!