[08]

Morning came and Angelika rose from bed before the rooster's call. Agnes usually left for work before dawn and it became the little telepath's job to ensure both Erik and Caliban were fed.

Yawning, she rubbed the sleep away from her eyelids as she went to the bathroom to clean herself. Looking at her reflection in the mirror while brushing her teeth became less and less painful since her hair grew quite long. 

A year had passed like a fleeting moment since Caliban found them and Agnes welcomed them into her house.

Despite being so close to the camp, Schmidt had not yet found them. Perhaps the man firmly believed that Erik would have chosen to go as far away as he could instead of settling for somewhere so close. Not to mention, none of the nearby villagers were dumb enough to hide jews inside their house.

Agnes had to lie that they were her nephew and niece who came to live with her due to her brother's abrupt death from a fever. Some believed her, others didn't care and then there was the nosey ones who had nothing better to do with their free time, like Greta the ancient she-devil. The female mutant briefly peeked inside her mind and she didn't like it — too much hate.

So Angelika wanted to do everything she could to help the generous woman. Even in the hottest days, she wore a long-sleeved shirt to keep her tattoo hidden and aided around the house by fulfilling different chores.

When she reached the kitchen, Erik was already sitting at the table, listening to the radio. His face was serious — more so than usual — his chin resting on his folded hands.

"- the forces of Germany have surrendered to the United Nations. The flags of freedom fly all over Europe."

Angelika blinked, processing what had just been said. "Erik, did the man say-"

"Yes," Erik answered quickly, letting out the breath he had been holding in, "It's over, Angelika. We're free."

Angelika choked, unsure if she should be laughing or crying. Neither seemed right. She wore too many scars and bore too many losses to be able to rejoice. And she had so many things to be thankful for to be crying in sadness.

Her mind drifted to Henryk, the boy who was dragged into her hell and forced to live beyond his planned lifespan by Schmidt. She wished there was a way to tell him that the war was over and the Nazis had lost. He would've been happy to hear this.

Just as her lips quivered, eyes burning with unshed tears, Erik pulled her into a hug. She was surprised when something warm began to wet her shoulder but she did not mention it. If he needed a shoulder to cry on, she would provide it.

"We survived."

-&-

Lunch was a simple rabbit stew with a slice of bread for each. Agnes provided bread and Erik hunted for small edible - Angelika could never forget the horror she felt the day he caught squirrels - animals. The first few weeks, he also skinned his preys while Angelika waited by the door, something about feeling sorry and uneasy. But she never quite admitted it, simply claiming that she needed help around the kitchen since she had to take care of the kitchen garden.

He appreciated this kind, compassionate side of Angelika. It often reminded him of his mother but the world was too harsh for someone like her. So after a month, he forced the dagger in her hands and taught her how to properly skin an animal. The sight of blood clenched her stomach uncomfortably but Angelika learned without a word of complaint, believing Erik knew what was best for her.

Erik ate in utter silence whereas Caliban hummed even as he ate, his spoon expertly avoiding the distasteful orange vegetable. It did not go unmissed by Angelika who shot him an angry glare. He flashed a sheepish smile.