1. hide and seek

"where did she go?" taehyung asked sadly.

"mermaids aren't real taehyung. get your head out of the clouds" yoongi said. he really just wanted to walk peacefully through the exhibits. by himself.

"she's real! i just saw her!" taehyung pouted.

"didn't you hear what he just said, yoongi hyung? jin confirmed. he said 'how did you know?' in that stupid voice of his" jungkook recited proudly.

"hey! what stupid voice?" jin huffed. crossing his arms over his chest.

"can you just talk already? i want to get going" yoongi tapped his foot impatiently.

"okay. she's real and she's here. let me show you just through this part and then you can go off. i don't want you to spook her.

come, follow me. she likes to play hide and seek with newcomers. she will follow behind you, hiding and coming out. waiting until the right time. so don't look behind you, just look at the fish before you pass them" jin said. he was in full work-mode by now. it didn't matter that these were his friends.

he walked slowly backwards as he led them through the long room. just glass wrapped all around in a big arch. he kept his eyes on them except for a few glances at her as they all talked quietly among themselves.

"stop playing this is stupid" yoongi said, he began to walk away but jin grabbed his arm.

"seriously, yoongi, don't." jin said. he had never been this serious before. it was kinda freaky to yoongi. he begrudgingly complied.

they came to somewhat of an opening. instead of a big hall it was more circular around them and on either side of the circle the curved class walls came up higher than before.

"face me" jin says as he stands facing the wall to their left. the boys listened. jin was stalling so that she could finish stalking. the boys were just weirded out by the whole thing. why couldn't they just turn around? they had no clue.

taehyung had a different feeling though.

he slowly backed up. acting like he was initiating for the whole group to back up with him toward the glass.

"boo!" he yelled as he turned around. gasps were heard, including from him. she was real.

she was real and face to face with taehyung. giggling. she was almost perplexed. surprised. how did he know what she was doing? that she was sneaking up on them?

her tail swished around happily and she clapped her hands together.

"oh my god! she's real!" jimin and hoseok said at the same time.

"no ****ing way" yoongi said, jaw practically on the floor.

"she has to be fake." he continued. but as he watched her swim around, there was no way her tail could move like that if there were human legs in there. it didn't look blatantly obvious like those fake mermaids on instagram.

as they gaped at her she swam and took in all of their faces. these were the boys jin had been telling her about.

slowly, jin walked up to the glass. he waved at her and she came close and waved back.

namjoon was practically studying her by now. of course, he was smart enough to do real research on mermaids when he first saw the article about her. he kept it to himself though. he wanted to respect jin's boundaries. seeing one in person was completely different though.

jimin ran up to the glass and smacked his hands on it, accidentally. "she's so cool!" he said in awe.

when his hands came in contact with the glass she flinched at the thunk-noise it made. sheesh.

"be gentle, jimin. we don't want to startle her" jin said in motherly tone.

jimin looked back at the mermaid. "i'm sorry, mermaid. i didn't mean to scare you" he said apologetically and took his hands off of the glass.

although she couldn't hear him, she read his lips and nodded back, smiling. he 'wow'ed at this.

the whole time taehyung just stood there with his hands to the glass. looking at her tail and her gills and her fin-like ears. "i thought mermaids were supposed to have pointy teeth?" he said, confused. he had always believed in them.

"ah, you're correct. they do. y/n used to be in captivity at this other place that mistreated her. they filed down her teeth so that she wouldn't eat the tropical fish in the tanks. mermaids don't even like tropical fish, she was just starving because they weren't feeding her.

they shaved down her teeth and got her used to eating human food. now all she eats is different variations of tuna. that's one of the reasons she can't be let back into the ocean." jin explained.

"that's so sad" taehyung pouted. at his pout, she swam over and matched her hands up to his that were gently placed against the glass.

lining up all of their fingers she pressed back. looking him right in the eyes.

"pretty mermaid" he mumbled. she caught on and mouthed back,

"pretty human"

though he had a hard time reading her lips.

—————

do you like the first chapter? i really like it so far! i'm going to keep the chapters between 800-1500 words because the story line is pretty basic but i want to have enough chapters.

this chapter was pretty short, most will be longer!!

907 words