Chapter 2 ❀ Staying Over

Hours were passing slowly and the other employees kept leaving one by one. They were so lucky they could get their jobs done without having to get pestered by their boss personally, it almost made you feel jealous. You sighed and let your head drop onto your desk before taking a look around. No one was left in the room, and with 'no one' you really meant what you said.

The next thing you did was gaze at the clock that hung over the exit door. It was almost midnight, meaning you had just missed all last busses, trains and trams. In other words, you wouldn't be able to get home, and instead you would have to spend the night most likely in a hotel or internet café, and despite that, leaving this prison called workplace sounded so alluring. Another sigh of annoyance rolled off your lips at the realization of things, and you couldn't motivate yourself to finish what little you had left of your work.

Just when you thought all hope was lost and you would give in to fatigue, a rather strange savior appeared before you. None other than Kaiba placed down a mug on your desk, his actions causing your system to start functioning properly again. You immediately lifted your head and recognized your personal cup, and it was even filled with your favorite coffee. That's when you started getting suspicious. Since when was the ice prince so kind? "Did you poison it or something?"

"A simple thank you would have sufficed." The brunet retorted irritatedly, never once aborting his short trip to his desk. Perhaps he was right. You were quite rude after he had just brought you something to drink. "I-I'm sorry, you're right. Thank you very much, boss."

"How come you're still here?" You couldn't help but ask once you had taken the warm cup in your hands and turned your chair around a tad, just enough to see Kaiba at his desk. "I had something to finish." Was the brunet's blunt yet vague reply.

The room fell silent after that again and the both of you continued doing what you were supposed to, even though you ended up staring more at the clock than actually working. But in the end, you had managed to finish for today — or yesterday, for that matter — even if it had already gotten half past midnight.

The suffocating silence was interrupted by the opening of the door and entering of a rather popular raven-haired boy. "Seto! Are you finally done with work?" It was Mokuba, the younger Kaiba. You were wondering what a kid his age was still doing here at this hour. And you certainly weren't the only one who asked yourself that question. "Mokuba why are you still here?"

"Anyway, let's get going. Where is Roland?" Kaiba questioned more rhetorically than in attempt to receive an answer after gathering all of his belongings and standing up. You couldn't believe he had actually asked that, but you took it upon yourself to answer. "Roland left hours ago. Everyone did."

"Then I guess you will be driving us home." Kaiba said, flashing you another one of those teasing smirks. But perhaps that wasn't such a bad idea, despite how it sounded. That way you could borrow one of the company's cars and drive home after dropping the two rich males off first. But almost expectedly, it seemed like fate had other plans with you. More like, Mokuba had other plans with you. "Yaaay! Does that mean [Name] is staying over?"

"Huh?" Both you and Kaiba said in unison, not sure if this was a good idea. Actually, no, this was a terrible idea. Spending the night at your annoying, rich boss' place? Definitely not a good idea. Unlike the woman you had phoned with earlier tonight, you weren't that interested in Kaiba's luxuries even if the thought of receiving free food at his house did end up crossing your mind and almost tempted you. Then again, with the individual in question being Kaiba, he would probably even tax you for dinner. "I don't think that's such a good—"

"Hmm that's not such a bad idea. That way I'll even have a babysitter for you, for tonight." The brunet once again made a malicious expression, this time making you frown and his younger brother pout. "I'm not a kid anymore, so [Name] doesn't need to babysit me, Seto!" The boy nonetheless rushed over to you and grabbed your hand, dragging you off with them, almost immediately forgetting about his elder brother's snarky comment.