Chapter 5 ❀ Negotiations

It was already evening again, meaning the end of the day was drawing closer and closer with every passing minute. Lower rank employees were allowed to leave first, just like the procedure was rightfully supposed to work.

Roland ended up abandoning you too, since today it was his turn to take Mokuba home. After all, Seto didn't want his finishing late to affect his little brother's sleeping schedule too much. To summarize it all, you and Kaiba were once again the only ones left in the office at this hour.

And once again the president's phone rang as if to purposely annoy the man you had almost started feeling sorry for at this point. You had lost count of how many calls this one made today. Kaiba, already sick and tired of having heard dozens of voices through that apparatus, picked it up rudely which of course wasn't anything new. "What the hell do you want?"

"This is the management department. S-Sir, this space-elevator project... what you're proposing is—" The man on the other line — most probably the same one from the meeting today — started, but was quickly cut off by Kaiba who had probably lost a part of his senses. "Really, really cool?"

You thought you were either imagining things or that you had started hallucinating from all the stress and caffeine today and so turned your head in Kaiba's direction just to flash him a disturbed look. What he just said didn't match his face and personality. At all. Their conversation continued as you silently wrapped up your work.

"Well, when you need to go into space and you don't have a convenient way to get there, I'll be laughing at you. From outer space. Where I will be!" Kaiba didn't give the man on the other line one more second. He had already ended the call and almost broken the phone for the twenty-seventh time today. By then, you had assembled everything you needed and were standing in front of the brunet. "Kaiba, you can't be serious."

"Says the one who wiped her snot with my bedsheets." The CEO was quick to counter, even smirking. Arguing with you like this seemed to be an effective cure against his piled-up stress and demotivation, as if his non-existent health bar refilled itself every time you gave the brunet a flustered reaction. You on the other hand blushed uncontrollably this time. "Just how long do you plan on haunting me with that?!"

"I didn't even wipe my snot with them..." You muttered, pouting subconsciously as you looked away to the side, just so you could avoid Kaiba's devilish gaze. The brunet chuckled in his own sadistic way before returning to staring at you silently. You sighed — hopefully for the last time today — before telling your boss that you were just about to take your leave. "I'm done with my amount of work, so I'll get going now."

"Where's Roland?" Kaiba asked, a sense of déjà-vu washing over you as you brought the palm of your hand to your forehead, patiently holding yourself back from just slapping yourself quite literally. "He left early, Sir... You told him to bring Mokuba home." The brown-haired CEO shut down his computer before getting up from his seat. "Drive me home."

"Excuse me?" You weren't even surprised anymore, though you couldn't exactly say that you could follow this sudden development that well either. You had to admit that you didn't particularly have anything against doing your boss a final favor today, not to mention that you could even borrow the company car for your personal purposes again. And so, the two of you made it to the ground floor and outside the Kaiba Corporation building where for some odd reason you were greeted by an unfamiliar woman yet not unknown voice. "M-Mister Kaiba!"

"And you are?" Kaiba retorted in his signature harsh tone — the one he used to either people he despised or wasn't acquainted with. The woman dramatically pretended to be physically hurt by that question as she brought her hand to her chest which led you to notice the inappropriate way she was dressed. Perhaps inappropriate was an exaggeration, but she had just put on a top in which she could show off her cleavage rather effortlessly. "How rude!~ I'm your fiancé of course!~"