Chapter 7 ❀ Chances and Compromises

"Kaiba! What the hell is the meaning of this?!" You yelled across the room, making Roland as well as all other employees who were more or less peacefully doing their work at their computer flinch. At this point you didn't even care that you had cursed all morning, this was more than simply frustrating.

The CEO looked your way and his pokerface was soon replaced by a sadistic smirk. "Don't 'what the hell is the meaning of this' me. This way, I'll finally stop getting marriage proposals. It solves both of our problems."

"Didn't I tell you not to think too much of it?" Kaiba concluded, not seeming bothered in the slightest. Roland who stood next to you had a bad feeling about where this was going — so did the other workers, actually — but none of them dared to get themselves involved in this conversation. Perhaps mess was a more fitting description.

That was what he meant yesterday? It was an act all along? Just to benefit himself, just as one would expect. You felt your heart clench and had no idea how to reply to anything that had just been said. "I hope you rot in hell!" Grasping the newspaper you held in anger and making it wrinkle completely, you soon threw that piece of garbage in Kaiba's direction, storming out of the room the moment it was taken care of. "[Name], wait!"

As Roland called after you, you almost bumped into Mokuba on your way out. The raven-haired boy looked at you with a worried expression, since he had just now learned about what had happened. He would have run after you, but there was something he wanted to ask his older brother first. You were practically ditching your work, but there was no way you could show your face in the office after the heated exchange earlier.

There were employees wandering around everywhere, you just wanted to get to an isolated place and calm down for a bit. That's when the smoking area on the same floor came to mind. Many workers on this floor were young people who didn't consume tobacco, so it was most likely the case that there were no people in the smoking area, especially this early in the morning.

On your way there, you walked by many employees, most of them being young women. And it so happened that you also heard their 'secret conversations' on your journey. It wasn't like they were even trying to keep their voices down to begin with. "Hey, isn't that [Name], Mister Kaiba's assistant who was mentioned in today's newspaper?"

"Yeah, talk about sleeping your way up the ranks. She sure has some nerve, making out with the boss in public." The other girl 'whispered', both of them giving you one last disgusted look before they were out of your sight. Was that what people thought of you now? Or have they always been thinking of you that way?

None of it mattered as you finally reached your destination, and thankfully the smoking area really was empty. You entered the little room and sat down on the seat, leaning your head back. "What the hell... I'm so stupid..." You mumbled, bringing both your hands to your face and covering your eyes with them in order to prevent possible tears from spilling. "When did I even start getting my hopes up..."

Meanwhile in the main office, the atmosphere was more suffocating than ever before, even more so after you had left the room. Mokuba rushed to his big brother's desk and slammed his small hands on top of it, seemingly upset as he gained Seto's attention. "Did you and [Name] really kiss, Seto?"

"Yeah so?" The brunet retorted seemingly indifferently, slowly crossing his arms above his chest. Mokuba frowned slightly, soon continuing his interrogation. "Then, shouldn't you go cheer her up? She looked pretty upset! People are going to talk bad of her!"

"Well, what do you expect me to do? Apologise for having lessened her work?" The brunet questioned, his tone displaying his displeasure quite a bit. Mokuba wasn't sure if his elder brother was simply being rude, oblivious or if what he said had another meaning to it. "What do you mean?"