Chapter 14

(Third Person POV)

     The camp is laid out in a circular formation. Seto's purple fire has lift up all the poles on the perimeter and the ones inside. The camp has no walls, but the barracks act as funnels with only enough space between for two soldiers. The only wider space is the front entrance where wagons come through. General Ant is putting the most soldiers there to guard it. The squid army will arrive any minute.

     Seto left the gate out of his plan, but he divided the rest of the camp's perimeter into four sections. Two of the old heroes will be guarding each. He's going to fight even with the magic limiters. Ssunndee is teamed up with him. Mitch and Jerome are covering a section, Jason and Quinten are in another, and Sky and Ty are in the last. They'll fight with the other soldiers as well. Seto is adamant that the eight of them will make the difference. He wants them to go help other sections if theirs becomes clear.

     The battle started with the main force attacking the gate, just like predicted. They didn't expect that the army was ready for them. The squids figured it out pretty quickly that they weren't going to break through that way. The barracks' gaps are where the real battle begins. There are too many gaps for the eight to handle in their own sections. It's only a matter of time until some of them broke through into the camp.

Mitch and Jerome have always battled well together. The archer shoots an arrow over the hybrid's shoulder and it buries itself into a squid. Jerome swings his axe and finishes them off. Another squid is too close for Mitch to use his bow. He draws a dagger and slices at their eyes. They real back and disappear into the crowd.

     Quinten fights more independently from Jason. Small, controlled explosions go off in their section. The ground becomes pocketed from the small explosives Quinten leaves in his wake. He wears a bag at his waist with all manner of supplies. His sword battles are short and sparse. Jason is almost constantly in the air. He's unlatched a blade on one arm, and a he has barbed bolts coming from some sort of mechanism on the other arm. Jason finds it easy to blast up into the air and fire bolts as he falls back down. He's landed on more then a few enemy soldiers by now.

     Seto is already panting from the magic use. He went in with full reserves, but the limiters block out everything but a trickle. He's definitely not used it it. Thankfully, in the hundreds of years since the first cut of this battle, he's learned to use a sword. A crossbow bolt comes flying past him to take out an enemy already on fire. Ssunndee uses his crossbow as much as he can, but when squids get close, he becomes way more aggressive and uses his shurikens to tear at exposed flesh. It's like he's an entirely different person. Some soldiers from the gate came to help in their section, so there area was cleared much faster. Ssunndee goes to help in another section even before the last squid has fallen.

Ty hardly ever stops moving. He always gets out of range and attacks from afar. He's barely been scratched the entire fight, but taken down quite a few Piscus. Sky fights with his golden sword on the far side of their section. He got separated from Ty early on. Sky fights just like the knights of old. He's strong and fast, out witting squid at every move.

Sky doesn't realize that the squid king is there until they lock swords. It's a different age with different people, but Sky swears that they both recognized the other. The squid king smiles. The two of them break apart and go on the attack. Once again, Sky finds himself struggling. It's all he can do to keep his sword up in front of himself. One of the squid king's blows is so hard that Sky's sword is shoved down until the tip hits the ground. The squid brings up his blade instantly for another attack. This is it. Sky still isn't strong enough. He's going to fail again. All these people are going to die because he's weak. Ssunndee slams his cross bow into the side of the squid king's head and knocks them off balance. He then drops the hunk of wood and digs a shuriken right into the squid's head.

That fast, it was all over. The Sorcerer's second task has been completed.