Chapter 3

Once Mai came out of the bathroom her boss was gone. She decided to follow a certain smell and she ended up in the kitchen where she spotted her missing boss. "Morning, Naru." She greeted. Naru turned around to face her. "Morning. I made breakfast." He said.

"Yes. I could smell it." She smiled as she started making tea. Making tea became so natural to her that she was no longer needed to be asked to do it. "Now let's eat and head to the office. Gene and Madoka will arrive today. I can't wait to see them." Mai said as she placed the teacups on the table. "Are you happy to see them?" Naru asked. "Of course. I wasn't so happy since Lin called and said that you are coming back." Naru watched the girl again and smiled.

Mai and Naru chatted some more before getting ready and heading to the office. They arrived and Naru unlocked the door letting them inside. "When will they arrive? I'll make tea." Mai asked heading to the kitchen. "It might take a while. Lin went to get them but the roads are messy because of the wind." Naru said as he followed her. "Then I'll make some for us for now. There's also a cake in the fridge I brought yesterday. We can all eat it later." Mai stated as she started making the tea.

Suddenly, the door to the office swung open followed by a happy almost singing voice. "Naruuuu~" The voice was instantly recognized by Mai and her boss. Naru left the kitchen while Mai prepared more cups. "Gene. You're being too loud. How come you are here so fast?" He asked secretly really glad to see his brother again. Gene smiled. "I rushed Lin to get here as fast as possible and you are not even happy to see me. It hurts." He then laughed as he went over to give his brother a quick hug. "Naruuuu~" sang another voice. This time Madoka entered the office. Lin following her. "Again, too loud." The boy said.

"Is that how you greet your teacher?" Madoka looked at him angrily. "Just you wait young man. I'll give you a nice lect-" Madoka was suddenly cut off by the voice of the young assistant who was now standing in the kitchen doorway. "Madoka!" She said happily as she moved to place the tray with the cups on the table. She then went to hug the woman. "Am I being forgotten?" A voice asked from behind her. Mai laughed. "Of course not. I'm happy to see you again, Gene." the girl said as she hugged him.

Later that day the office became quite lively again as more guests arrived. The whole SPR crew was there. "Ey Gene, what happened to Naru? He's been acting very weird since he came back." Bou-san asked hoping that the older twin had some more information. He grinned. "You see. While in England my idiotic brother realized his feelings for Mai so now he is acting nicer to fit in." Ayako laughed. "He really is an idiot. Mai fell in love with his narcissistic and sarcastic self and he now wants to change?!" The gossip continued.

Of course, this conversation was not heard by Mai as she was serving her boss some more tea.

Suddenly a sigh was heard. Everyone turned to Masako. "I'm starting to have a headache because of them." The group smiled awkwardly remembering the times when Masako was running after Naru. "But I kinda understand what you mean." Yasu spoke up. "Watching them makes me tired." Everyone nodded in agreement.

"Then how about you?" Ayako asked suddenly. "Any new dates?" Yasu laughed shaking his head he then focused again as Ayako asked a new question. "And you, Gene? Any girls?" Now Gene we laughing. "I'm afraid not. But if you asked about boys..." Mai just joined the crew and took a seat. She didn't react to the comment as Naru once accidentally slipped and told her about Gene's sexuality. "You're gay?" Ayako asked. Gene just nodded. Ayako then noticed Mai secretly pointing at Yasu. To think such things happened right under her nose. "Then, any boys?" She asked smirking. "Maybe? Maybe you should watch out for your boyfriend or he might be stolen." Gene smirked back at her causing the monk to choke on his tea. "Ok, ok. I'm not pushing anymore." The Miko gave up.

Mai suddenly laughed. "I can't believe how perfectly Gene fits here." Everyone looked at her and smiled. "Well, we didn't know each other that well either when we started working together and now, we all drink tea here every day." John suddenly spoke up causing the attention to be placed on him. "Now, John. You've been pretty quiet until now. Anyone, you are interested in? I bet you didn't leave the priesthood just on a whim." The boy shot a glance at the medium next to him and blushed. The said medium secretly awaited the answer but the door to Naru's office suddenly opened.

"Naru?" Mai asked. "Is there something you need?" The boy closed the door to his office and took the last free place beside Mai. "No, I just came to join you." He said. Now, that was unexpected. "That's why I said that the behaves weird." Ayako said turning to Gene and then back to Naru as he spoke up. "No, I'm not." He protested coldly. Mai laughed. "Just a little." The boy then protested again. "I'm sure I'm not. You're imagining things."

"No, you are. 100%" Bou-san cut in.

"Would you like to talk about work then, Takigawa? I have the plan of the building, we can talk about where to place the cam-"

"Nah. I'll pass. On the second thought, I think you've always been like this." The monk said scratching his neck. The office was filled with laughter. And if everyone wonders where Madoka was. She was in Lin's office.

--------------

The days passed and it was soon time for the case to start. The SPR van arrived at the hotel which was, to be honest pretty old-looking. It sure looked like it was haunted. Lin, Naru, Gene, Madoka, and Mai all got out of the vehicle to see Bou-san's van arrive right behind them. "Looks spooky, right?" Yasu asked as he approached Mai. "I bet it's history is even worse." The girl answered. Suddenly Madoka joined them. "It sure is." She has done her research but so did Yasu. "That's my line." He said jokingly. "Am I going to be replaced?" He asked making Mai laugh.

"Come on, we have work to do." Naru called out the group followed him.