Chapter 18-Prisoner

Weather was chilly and frosty that noon in Islamabad. Clouds were covering the sun, depriving Earth from its warmth and making it a dark and cold morning. Faris was lying on the bed, trying to catch some more sleep, and was staring at Daneen who was getting ready for Zohar. He was gazing at her who was now spreading a prayer mat on the floor, and with it, different memories flooded back in his mind. 

Once, he was also a firm believer and prayed his prayers on time. But, after that incident, his heart broke down and he became full of bitterness and complaints. Those complaints and bitterness to Allah caused a distance between him and God. He didn't want to pray, because he wanted to show his anger and complaints to Allah. And let me tell you, this approach and thinking is totally wrong and is sinful, but Faris Khan was unintentionally committing it. 

He was gazing at Daneen while his eyes became heavy with sleep. After some seconds, he was in deep slumber. 

 He stirred in his sleep when he felt his shoulder getting shaken by Daneen. He opened his eyes and glanced at her scorching form. Daneen, still in white hijab, bent on him and was calling him. He smiled at her and nodded his head in sleep. 

After some minutes, he stirred his nerves and tried to remain awake. And just after the effort of some minutes, he was on the dining table, eating lunch with Daneen. 

"Has Salma not come today?" he asked, breaking the deep silence. 

"Nope. I'm also surprised. She never goes on holiday without telling" she replied. Major Faris got into deep thought. His military mind was giving him different possibilities, and was blaring red alarm.

At that moment, Daneen's mobile started ringing. One of her friends was on call and told her that Mr. Jalal has been arrested by NAB. This news made her numb and shocked and she quickly ran to switch on the television, with bewildered expressions. 

The news of arrest was present on a news channel. Newscaster was enthusiastically telling the news that Jalal Khan had been arrested in one of the cases of corruption. Different clips and videos of him getting arrested was also present on screen. Daneen watched that whole scene with teary and shocked eyes while Faris saw the news with an emotionless face. He was expecting this arrest today. He was unfazed with the whole situation, but he was getting worried for Daneen who was now trembling. Tears were socking her face and she, helplessly, sat on the couch. Different scenes started running in her mind. 

Her uncle Jalal looked at her with affection and gave her gifts, when her father was alive

Their family and uncle Jalal's family went to Murree where they did hiking and a picnic and a lot of fun

Then uncle Jalal's decision to take her with him when her father died

Then, Uncle Jalal said to her that he will not give her father 's money to her till she becomes deserving of the money

And then, Uncle Jalal started becoming rude with her, and ultimately, he declared her a characterless girl and threw all blame on her

Tears spilled from her eyes at remembering those scenes. Faris sat near her and put an assuring hand on her shoulder. 

"Daneen, are you okay? " he asked politely. 

"My uncle" she whispered. 

"Daneen, it's okay. If Uncle Jalal hasn't done the corruption, he will be safe. But, if he has done, then he deserves it and you don't have to worry about him" Though, Faris knew that he is a corrupt man. He was doing dirty business with the enemies of Pakistan. But, he couldn't tell this to Daneen. He couldn't reveal his identity and involvement in the case because the secret agents are not supposed to tell anything to anyone.