Chapter Two

Unlinking, my arm through Chloe's, I unlatch the gate to the pool and we wander inside. We arrived early to warm up like Mr Miller instructed us to do so I am not surprised when he does not greet us at the entrance. None of our class has arrived yet so Chloe and I drop our bags in the changing room and begin getting changed into our dark red, tight fitting swimsuits.

All seniors were obliged to buy a full different uniform for our final year and consequently our togs need some breaking in. I pull my light brown hair out of my early morning messy bun and let it hang over my shoulders. Chloe copies my actions and settles her short blond hair comfortably around her ears.

After silently wrapping our towels tightly round our waists, we wander out of the changing rooms to the back of the pool. We drop down our bags and snake our way to the edge of the pool.

"Here let's get the pool covers off for the rest of the class," I say as we approach the cover roll. Grasping tightly at the handles, Chloe and I reel in the covers. It takes a while due to the prickly cold of the morning air, raising goosebumps in our arms, but eventually we reach the final cover. Chloe looks exhausted so I encourage her to take a break. As she saunters off to get a drink I pull hard on the handles, eager to enter the warm water.

Focusing intensely on the handles, I reel back in shock when Chloe suddenly lets out a deafening scream. I jerk my head round to face the pool and copy her expression. Pools of thick red blood cloud the clear blue water. The dark red leeches onto everything around it and for a minute it's all I can see. An image of blood, surrounding me, suffocating me. I stumble around blankly and don't even acknowledge when Chloe wraps me up in a tight embrace. Or when Mrs Scott, the schools pool manager, arrives at the scene. Not even when we are shuffled out of the pool area and behind the changing rooms; hidden from the sight of the blood. I'm a stiff led pencil; unable to move without assistance.

Only one thought glues in my mind as Chloe bolsters me back to our boarding house. One single thought which I know will haunt me forever. Our swimming coach, Mr Miller, was murdered and Chloe and I found him dead.