Chapter Four

"What about Candice Bling? That girl who had the major crush on Mr Miller before he completely blew her off last year?" Mia says flatly. It is around midnight and we have been brainstorming suspects in my room for hours with no promising leads. After yesterday we decided to cross off the definite 'Nos' and are not managing to come up with any better. Chloe, Jackie, Mia, and I are huddled in a tight clump, covered in blankets to fight the winter cold, on my bed.

"No, I'm pretty sure she just got together with Max Burton and they look pretty happy together." Jackie sighs.

"We've been awake for hours and have gotten nowhere." I complain. "What if the murderer is just some crazy serial killer and Mr Miller was just a random?"

"I doubt it. Why would anyone randomly target him at our school? Mr Miller was a great and sensible guy." Chloe pipes up. "I remember this one time when I had won gold at interschools and he was so proud, he took our whole squad out for lunch and insisted on paying."

"It's ok Chlo, we will find whoever did this. I promise." I squeeze Chloe tightly and she rests her head softly on my shoulder.

A notification flashes up on my phone and we all exchange looks. Carefully, I pick it up to inspect.

"It's an email." I exclaim. "From mum. She says that Chloe and I have to see the police tomorrow. For questioning." At home I remember mum and dad talking about questioning and how we would have to go in at some point. Mum did everything she could to postpone it but it had to happen. "The cops are coming to school to see us at noon."

"Questioning?" Jackie demands. "You guys aren't ready!"

"Can't they give you more time?" Mia claims.

Chloe and I exchange looks, knowing we won't be able to get out of it.

"We have to go." Chloe says. "Abby's mum has already put it off long enough. We don't have a choice."

"Besides, if it was a hit and run, the police will have a better chance at catching whoever did this." I say hopefully.

"Well, since you're going, you should try to get as much information from the cops as possible." Mia states. "They may be able to help our case."

"Yeah that sounds like a good idea." Chloe declares happily.

"Sounds hopeful to me." Jackie adds.

"Ok, it's decided then. Tomorrow Chloe and I will question the cops." I smile at our newly devised plan, praying it gets us a new lead.