Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

When I wake, Tallon is gone. Go figure. He always seems to disappear. That seems to be his thing. My head is swirling. I hate this feeling. I keep tormenting myself with alcohol. I need to slow down. That’s why I’m here, after all. I hope everyone else is gone. The only person that I want here is the one I fell asleep with last night. 

Luckily, that’s exactly what I get. Almost. Everyone is gone. I pour coffee into my mug and sit on the couch. I’m not moving for the rest of the day, maybe the rest of the week. 

My day is filled with coffee and more coffee. I watch the latest episodes of some tv show I honestly could care less about. At five I pop in a pizza. I text Daryl saying I won’t be there for dinner. The last thing I need is for him to see me with a hangover. I take my food in my room. At around seven I hear the door finally open. Maddy must have had plans after class. 

It’s quiet. She didn’t bring company home. I’m thankful for that. The only person I wanted to see is Tallon, unfortunately, that doesn’t happen.

On Tuesday, I decide to get out of the house. I’m bored out of my mind, but I can’t stand the thought of just waiting around for him all day. I walk the roads slowly, taking everything in. London is really beautiful. Daryl and April live in a quiet town, but have the luxury of the city about 20 minutes away. I see a bar and a hair salon. I try to remember where everything is, but I know I won’t. My mind doesn’t do well with directions, so I don’t go too far.

To the left there’s a tiny, rundown coffee shop. By the looks of it, it’s been here for decades, but it looks welcome and “homey”enough. There’s a “Now Hiring” sign hanging from it. Why not? It’s not like I need the money with Daryl living pretty comfortably, but at least I would be spending my time making my own small income. 

And to my advantage, half an hour later I have a job. That’s a first. I’m actually proud of myself. I’ll have to tell Mom about it as soon as I talk to her, which I should probably do. The owner, Margie, seemed nice enough, and her son, Stephen, as well. They even gave me a free latte, which to my surprise, is the best coffee I ever had. 

Ding!

I grab my phone from my pocket to see a text from someone. From the area code, the same as Daryl’s, I assume it’s someone in London, Maddy most likely.

020-453-0121: Where are you?

I quickly respond with a “heading back to the trailer”, and I don’t get a response back. I take my sights in, slurping the top layer of foam as I walk. I hear the thunder ahead and wish I had brought my umbrella, or at least had worn rain boots. It’s around two when I get back. My hair is now drenched, along with my body. I quickly see the black Nova in the driveway. My heart instantly flutters, or is it my stomach? Or maybe another part of my body? This man is doing so much to me. 

When I enter, it looks the same as always, aside from the tall boy stretched across the much too small couch for him. He looks irritated, despite his body's relaxed pose. “Where were you?” He’s at his feet, walking toward me.

“I got a job.” I smile gleefully. “Why are you here?” I haven’t heard from or seen him in two days. It’s been boring and I’ve been slightly irritable by it, but I don’t want him to leave again.

“Where?” He crinkles his nose up. “I know how much money that man has, and know well enough that you don’t need a job.” He glances at the white house through the window. Always full of questions. He’s like me in that way.

I set my now empty coffee cup on the counter and cross my arms. “You first.” I don’t have to see my face to know that my left brow is hiked up.

I see the hint of a smile forming on his lips, but I won’t give in. “You knew I was coming here. Who do you think text you?” It makes sense now. Maddy must have given him my number. “Now your turn.” He chuckles at my ignorance. 

“At a coffee shop. I shouldn’t have to explain my getting a job to you.” I see the frown he’s trying to hide forming on his face, but it’s true. It’s not like he tells me everything about him and his whereabouts. “I need to get these wet clothes off.”

“I can help with that.” The glimmer is back. Same old Tallon.

“I’m sure you tell all the ladies that.” The image of Brooke throwing herself at him comes to mind, and I instantly flinch.

“What was that?” He asks. I was hoping he hadn’t noticed.

“Nothing.” And with that I walk away. No need to embarrass myself even more.

I figure after changing he would be gone again, like a ghost. But instead, he’s leaning back against the couch, watching tv.

“I like the wet look better.” He comments with a wink.

“Tallon? Liking girls wet? Who would have thought?” My sarcasm is clearly not as good as his... 

****thank you for reading!!!!