Austin City Limits:: Ch. 1

Photo:: Daria f by MartaSyrko on deviant art
http://martasyrko.deviantart.com/art/strange-467361473

This is a work of fiction, any resemblances to people, fiction or real, is merely a coincidence. Do not in anyway shape or form copy this story. Make your own for us to read!!

© All rights reserved. 2014. LizzieMarie1313.

I've started revising the first ten chapters. If you have already read this, the story has changed slightly! - Thanks for all who are giving up a little piece of the day to give this story a chance!!***

****

I’m not big on frilly dresses, but light pink tulle hanging down from my waist that swishes and swirls as I move is the only thing entertaining me enough to keep from jumping into the giant pool outside and ruining my Dad’s most important party of the summer. Dad has been working years to build up his high-profile clientele and he’s told me countless times, networking is a big part of keeping his position at the top. Los Angeles is full of celebrities and scandals but it’s also full of attorneys and good representation.   

            I learned at a young age how important my Dad’s career and reputation are to him. That’s why I choose to forgive him every time he forgets an important event in my life, like my first day of high school or last year’s cross country state championship. So it shouldn’t have come as a surprise to me that Dad decided to hold his big ‘Summer Appreciation Extravaganza’ on my sixteenth birthday. Of course such a milestone would slip his mind when he has been working my last three birthdays.

            The large building is filled to its capacity with models, actors and actresses, sport’s elites and socialites. Most of the people ignore me at these things, a few people will nod politely and others will say, “Hey, Little Summers.” Even with my wallflower status, I’m still expected to attend to keep up with appearances. My part is to play the dutiful daughter.

            “Ah, Sadie! Just the girl I was looking for.” Frenchie Winters, my Dad’s best friend slash business partner from Winters’ and Summers’ Law Firm, pulls on my arm, tugging me away from my delicious slice of cheesecake and over to a young man who I have seen multiple times on and off screen. Frenchie may be Dad’s best friend but he’s never given me much of a reason to trust him. “Have you met Michael Treble?” As soon as we stop, I pull my arm free from Frenchie’s grasp.

            “Thanks French. We’ll catch up later, my man.” Michael gives me a sly smile making goose bumps arise on my arms.  “Sadie Summers. You always seem to be avoiding me, so I had to coerce Frenchie into doing my dirty work.” Michael is the lead singer to the biggest boy band to hit the airwaves since the nineties. He thrives in the limelight and has almost broken up his misfit group of guy singers a few separate times with his antics. He has a couple of misdemeanor charges against him like reckless driving and public intoxication. He’s also been caught with small amounts of cannabis. Dad as his Attorney has decreased his sentences and bail amounts, letting Michael get into his next bout of trouble with no real consequence. It maddens me that Michael has no reason to change his ways if he can escape his penance each time.

            “You’ll just have to believe that there are some girls in this world who aren’t vying for your lowly attention.” I should just walk away. But this is the first person that has spoken more than a few brief words to me all night.  My sixteenth birthday is beginning to feel a little lonely after all.