Chapter Eight: The Misson Take Two

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and met my father at that same painting to teleport me to the human realm, Earth.

"Ready?" He asked I just nodded my head still a little scarred from yesterday's events. All I know is I never want to see that awful woman ever again.

He placed the knife on his palm and sliced it open before smearing it in a specific pattern that represented the human realm on the painting. Each realm has their own type of symbol which is how portals can be created like this one.

"Remember everything from last time, the entrance is in the same place to get back. Don't come back unless you've completed the task. Now go." He told me. Wow, that was like the best father of the year speech. Note the sarcasm.

I stepped through the now glimmering black portal feeling the same rush of dizziness as last time as I crashed into the maintenance closet in that bar.

I gripped the rusty door knob and pulled it open stepping out I immediately heard the chatter of voices. I slowly walked towards them and saw that the bar was almost completely full. Completely different from last time.

I got a few weird glances but just ignored them as I headed outside the bars heavy glass doors.

First I needed to figure out what state I'm in if I plan on even finding this lab. I glanced at the windows of the shops I passed to see if I could get any clues about where I was but there was nothing.

I kept walking down the sidewalk of this silent street, it almost felt too silent for me to be comfortable. I heard a clicking noise which freaked me out, I practically jumped out of my skin at the high pitch squeak that came from the trees that decorated this sidewalk. I glanced up and saw a small thing that was furry with a long tail. It was holding this small nut looking thing, while making chittering noises.

I looked at it confused when I heard a chuckle.

I jumped even more than that and raised my hands out protectively. A boy with dirty blond hair and hazel eyes stood before me. He was giving me a puzzled look.

"Squirrels are annoying little guys, believe me when I say my dog thinks they are plotting the end of the world." He laughed. I laughed along not really sure what to do in situations like this one I mean I've never talked to a human before, an alive one.

"Going to a costume party?" He asked referring to my outfit. Something I've noticed about this realm was that cloaks didn't seem to be worn by anyone. Probably should have thought my outfit for today through more. Cloaks are practically mandatory in hell, you don't have a cloak your status is considered low like the poor peasants that serve around the castle. I don't think I've seen any of them wear cloaks.

"Um no, or uh yeah, maybe?" I mentally screamed at myself. Father was going to have my head for this. I've been here five minutes and am already drawing this much attention to myself. I can't even come up with a decent lie.

"Well, I don't know if I should take that as a yes .no or maybe." He laughed.

"I should go?" I questioned awkwardly. Why was I asking? I could already feel my cheeks heating up.

"What's your name? I'm Noah." He spoke reaching his hand out for me to shake.

I warily stuck my hand out interlocking it with his.

"I'm Laylah." I spoke. "Can I ask you something?" He just nodded motioning for me to continue.

"Where are we?" He gave me a confused look.

"We are on Cedar Street? Why are you lost?" He asked genuinely looking concerned.

"Um what state also?" I asked and now he was giving me a look like I was dumb.