Ep. 4 | The Real Maria Sandiego

The highest floor in the building belonged to the Marvels; it was where they met and where they lived. No one besides Celestro personnel and some lucky press were allowed up there. The second-highest floor held the offices of the president, the chairman, and the vice president. As Vidya was led into Fox's office, her eyes were glued to the ceiling. All she could think about was how the Marvels were right above her.

It was insane. Getting into Celestro's lobby without being kicked out was something people could only dream of, and here she was, in the vice president's office, right beneath Marvel headquarters. Outside the window behind Fox's desk was a once in a lifetime view of Los Angeles she never thought she'd see.

Fox clasped her hands together. "So, Ms. Khan. Tell me how you got your powers."

Vidya cleared her throat—it was dry from all the flying, if that steroid-induced mayhem could even be called flying—and told the story. At the end, she added, "You can call me Vidya."

"Your powers only manifested to save you," Fox murmured. "If unprompted, they could've stayed dormant for years."

Vidya imagined herself, twenty or thirty years old, suddenly discovering she could fly and make ice with her hands. She cringed. It was better now than then, when her life would be less forgiving to dramatic discoveries.

"While I'm thankful you've shared your experience," Fox continued, "there's no documentation or enrollment required for any super whatsoever. Why did you come to us?"

"Like you said, manifesting at seventeen isn't normal." Vidya swallowed. "I wanted to know if there's something wrong with me. If I'm...in danger?"

Fox smiled, her freckles stretching across her face. "We've had plenty of late bloomers, and not a single one had any sort of effect that was detrimental to their health. You're perfectly fine."

Vidya held her breath. "You're sure?"

"I've been in this business for a long time, and I've seen more than you can imagine. Trust me, you're fine." Fox paused. "There is something else I'd like to say, if you're willing to stick around to hear it."

Vidya was so relieved, she practically melted into her chair. She wanted to hug Fox, but she'd settle for hearing what else she had to say. "Of course. Go ahead."

"There've been cases of latecomers—people manifesting in their twenties, in their thirties even, but it's never anything noteworthy. For you to manifest late and have such an impressive set of powers is truly remarkable. You have potential."

Emika set down a glass of water and sat in the other chair. Vidya reached for it hesitantly, scared it would freeze, but the glass was cool and didn't get any colder. She drank slowly. Fox watched with mischievous eyes and tilted her head.

"How would you like to join the Marvels?"

Vidya choked on the water, but she managed an astounded, "What?"

"You heard me." Fox seemed pleased with the reaction. "We've been looking for a young, fresh hero to join the ranks, and you're perfect."

"I'm not..." Vidya wiped her mouth. "But I'm not a hero."

"With proper training and the right teammates, you can be."

Vidya looked between the two of them, completely dumbfounded. There were dozens of supers out there more qualified than her to be hired as a basic hero, let alone as a Marvel.

"I know it sounds unorthodox," Fox said, "but I'm the director because I make good decisions."

That was her way of saying she wouldn't explain her reasons, and Vidya knew it. Wanting a young, fresh hero wasn't compelling enough to put an inexperienced nobody on the most famous team in the world.