Ep. 17 | Corpses and Teacups and Heroes with Issues

Vidya tipped a cup of blue paint onto the canvas and watched as it spread to meet the green Amber had poured from the other side. The art room was usually busy as students prepared for the upcoming art show, but they'd managed to find a time slot during lunch when it was nice and quiet. The only other people here right now were the teacher, who sat at her computer, and a freshman trying to figure out the kiln.

"Have you gotten your letter?" Vidya asked.

"Not yet."

Vidya nodded, unworried. Amber was getting into SVA; there was no doubt about it.

Vidya rolled her neck around her shoulders, sighing. She'd been sitting on her legs for too long, and her entire body was aching, but their piece was almost done. Just a few more swirls of color, and maybe a blowtorch to pop the bubbles...

"We're having an anti-bullying assembly today," Amber said.

Vidya rocked back on her heels, making a face. That would make it the fifth one this year, and it was only February. "Why?"

"Because the Jailer's back. They stole all the trig books yesterday and locked them in the gym closet."

The Jailer was a student who resurfaced every now and then to steal a school supply, lock it somewhere to put it in 'jail', and hide the keys somewhere else. As funny as it was, those harmless pranks warranted disciplinary action, and since no one knew who the Jailer was, the disciplinary action was usually an assembly for everyone. It didn't matter that the Jailer wasn't technically bullying—an informative assembly was the only solution the principal could think of.

They moved their pour-painted canvas to the drying area and went to their next class: calculus for Vidya, history for Amber. Vidya couldn't focus. She glared at the loudspeaker beneath the clock, waiting for the announcement. Anti-bullying awareness was important, but five assemblies (and counting) in one year was overkill. She hoped the principal was ready for the backlash; there was nothing scarier than irritated teenagers.

The announcement came only ten minutes into class. Vidya was the first one out of the room. She practically ran to the auditorium to find Amber, and they filled in two seats in one of the middle rows.

When everyone was settled, the lights dimmed. The principal walked onto the stage and was immediately booed. She cleared her throat awkwardly and introduced the latest speaker she'd dredged up: a child psychologist, here to talk about the stresses of high school, acting out, and bullying.

Vidya sank against the uncomfortable auditorium seat. Due to the mounting dislike of her coworkers—except for Phase, who was an angel—she wasn't in the mood to think about kindness and tolerance. Instead, she drifted off into her imagination, occasionally catching bits and pieces of the psychologist's presentation. One line stood out, something about the debated belief that humans are born good, with natural inclinations to support others and see everything in a positive light.

At that part, Vidya laughed. It was a low scoff, barely audible, but Amber glanced at her. There was concern on her face, a new kind of concern that made Vidya uneasy.

Hadn't she always believed that people were born good?

So why did she laugh like it was a joke?

_______________________

With his feet propped up on the table, Juggernaut narrowed his eyes over the tips of his boots at the whiteboard. It was covered with his scribbles (intentionally illegible), photos of victims, autopsy details, random notices, and a map of the city with red x's where bodies were found. Under the suspect list was a fat blank space.