Chapter 4 - Son Ye Jin's Wardrobe Fitting

Based on the revised filming schedule the first two weeks in Seoul were devoted to prioritize filming the South Korea scenes involving Son Ye Jin for Episode 10 through Episode 16. Hyun Bin noted that this part of the schedule would be hectic. Concerned that it may take a toll on her health he determined to keep a very close eye on her, vowing to be present at her filming locations when he could, even when the scenes did not include his character.

It was the Tuesday afternoon, the day after their meeting with Director Lee and Writer Park to discuss the revised schedule. Immediately after that meeting, Director Lee met with the wardrobe department to discuss the changes and the resulting modifications to Son Ye Jin's wardrobe for the North Korean scenes. Before dinner on Monday evening, Son Ye Jin got a call from her manager about her appointment for the following afternoon for wardrobe fitting. Both had completed their fitting sessions before they left for Switzerland, so this was a one-off session. After the call, Son Ye Jin remembered the decision for her South Korean scenes to be filmed early, before her tummy bulge started showing, and felt thankful that her outfits for those scenes didn't need replacing. "These fitting sessions are very time consuming", she thought. She was in Hyun Bin's apartment and she told him about the appointment over dinner. Hyun Bin felt elated and proud, taking the wardrobe changes as yet another beautiful sign that they were both heading up to become parents. 

With a smirk splashed on his chiselled face he stood up from his seat and went to hug and kiss her. "What's that for?", she asked, wondering what excited him with the news of a fitting appointment, something that both of them had gone through many times in their projects. "Oh, nothing. I just felt like it" he replied, deciding to keep his happy thought to himself.

Working almost overnight and throughout Tuesday morning, the wardrobe department laboured to source alternate outfits for Son Ye Jin for those that needed to be replaced with larger sizes. Director Lee wanted to get her fitting done as early as possible, anticipating the filming schedule for her parts to be quite tight starting Wednesday. "We only have until July to film with Son Ye Jin-ssi" he told the wardrobe department.

The cast spent Tuesday morning doing the first reading of the script for filming that week. After lunch with some of their cast mates, Hyun Bin walked her over to the wardrobe department. Once by the door he gave her a quick smack on the cheek, not before checking that no one was around, and then remembering his filming appointment from that day's call sheet, scooted out prompting. He waved awkwardly a couple of times while sprinting away, almost tripping over the carpet. "What a weirdo.... my lovable weirdo" she thought fondly as she opened the door.

Son Ye Jin was met by Yang Soo-ah, a genteel looking middle-aged lady of diminutive stature and slim physique who was head of the wardrobe department. She was fondly called "ajumeoni" in the industry. What she lacked in physical stature belied her vast knowledge in costume design and efficiency in wardrobe operations, acquired from almost 30 years of experience in TV and movie productions. She had garnered multiple Korean awards and is widely regarded as a living legend in the industry. She and Son Ye Jin had worked together during the Negotiation project and when she did a cameo in Secret Garden, and knew each other well.

Son Ye Jin hugged Yang So-ah and exchanged pleasantries with the latter whispering her best wishes, both smiling at each other. A couple of expert tailors with sewing machines were also present in the room, on stand-by for instructions to make alterations. Son Ye Jin smiled and waved at them.

Yang So-ah led her to a small pedestal beside a long clothes rack from which hung a bunch of wardrobe pieces. The pedestal faced a large full-body mirror. Behind the mirror was a big glass window. The curtains were drawn for privacy but the bright lighting in the room compensated for the lack of sunlight. Additionally, a couple of spotlights on the ceiling flooded the pedestal area with white light.