Chapter 5 -Filming of the Border Scene of Episode 16

Based on the production specifications and the screenplay design, each of Episodes 1 through 15 were to target an average network runtime of an hour and 22 minutes, which is typical in the k-drama industry. Total Variety Network (or tvN), the network that would air the series in South Korea allowed for a variance of a few minutes beyond that average runtime, but they prohibited episodes to go beyond two hours, even in increments of only a few minutes, as any such episode would cut the airtime of the next programme.

Director Lee was keen on keeping Episode 16 to under one and a half hours. However, based on his extensive directorial experience, should a series generate a mass following the fans typically ask for a longer finale episode, so he had specifically requested for advance approval from tvN for Episode 16 to extend beyond the average runtime but still be within the two-hour limit. Luckily, tvN approved his request. The advance approval would give tvN adequate time to adjust their programming schedule to accommodate a two-hour finale.

Wednesday of the first week of production in Seoul included filming one of Son Ye Jin's most physically demanding scenes in the series: the border scene in Episode 16. Early that morning, she and Hyun Bin were separately picked up from his apartment by their respective managers to drive them to different filming locations for the morning. This arrangement quickly became a ritual as Hyun Bin strongly insisted on taking care of Son Ye Jin in his home while Son Ye Jin wanted to keep their relationship private. Their managers were only too pleased to offer their support.

Son Ye Jin had agreed to his request for her to stay with him, also longing to spend as much private time with him while secretly also wanting to experience some of the Hyun Bin pampering up close. How he pampered her always fluttered her heart. They were usually small things here and there, but done at the right place and at the right time. Extending care and doting to her was so natural to him that even if they tried desperately to not make things obvious while in public, it showed and fans noticed.

Beyond the usual gentlemanly attention that he had extended to all his previous leading ladies, it became quite evident during the press conference for their movie The Negotiation that Son Ye Jin was different. There were several glaring evidences. The fans noted that he kept giving her sweet, quick glances which she seemed to have desperately tried to evade at times. To the initiated eyes of their most ardent shippers the efforts to hide the relationship were pitifully futile. She herself failed miserably in a few instances, especially whenever he made her laugh. Added to those were moments where they unconsciously mirrored each other's posture and mannerisms, almost perfectly at times, to the further delight of the fans. The unusually strong off-screen chemistry between the stars was undeniable, insinuating to fans that there might be something deeper lurking. They've seen the The Negotiation press conference when it aired. Both vowed to do better during the Crash Landing on You press conference. "We're actors for crying out loud" she said, adding "We should be able to fake it", trying to convince him and herself that they could do it.

The morning's filming call for Hyun Bin was the bus scene in Episode 16 where Ri Jeong Hyeok and Company 5 are transported by NIS agents to the border. Filming was to take place on the bus as they traversed the Incheon International Airport Expressway and ended at the military demarcation line set for the border scene. Son Ye Jin's morning filming call was the car scene where Yoon Se-ri is driven by her eomeoni, played by Pang Eun-jin, to meet up with Ri Jeong Hyeok at the border. Everyone was to converge at the border filming location by early afternoon.

Right after breakfast, Hyun Bin meticulously assembled a couple of bags for Son Ye Jin to make sure that she had enough refreshments with her during her shoots. He also produced a big golf umbrella from his SUV to go with the pack. Son Ye Jin was resting on a sofa in the living room when he retrieved her and gently guided her to the kitchen area. On the massive kitchen island she saw a personal sized cooler. On one of the stool a fabric tote bag rested.